Correlation between metal strength and melting point?

In summary: You can do it directly from difference of kinetic energy:W=\frac{1}{2}mv_2^2 - \frac{1}{2}mv_1^2... for your example, you'd have to find the initial speed from kinematics.2. Its a bit more complicated than this since tensile strength is itself a function of temperature as was found at great cost when the 'Liberty Ships' broke up due to cold induced brittle failure.Basically, the higher the temperature, the stronger the material. And different materials can have different strengths at different temperatures.
Physics quest
I am unsure of this matter and so I am curious, do stronger metals more than likely have higher melting/heating points? Does a metal that takes more force/pressure to break or snap have a higher melting/heating point as well? Do metals/alloys like steel or titanium have higher melting points than a softer metal due to their strength? or is it deeper than that?

Also, although not technically related I thought another matter was not worth a new thread, I was just interested in how to calculate, if its possible the energy used in moving an object based on weight and distance/time it took to travel.

Thank you for your time.

Physics news on Phys.org
1. Its one of those yes and no things - you can look up tensile strengths and melting points for different metals and see for yourself.

2. you do work whenever you accelerate an object equal to the change in kinetic energy, which is also the applied force multiplied by the distance moved.

Simon Bridge said:
1. Its one of those yes and no things - you can look up tensile strengths and melting points for different metals and see for yourself.

2. you do work whenever you accelerate an object equal to the change in kinetic energy, which is also the applied force multiplied by the distance moved.

1. So its not really related? strong metals may melt quicker than softer metals and its really just specific to the metal?

2. So how do I find the change in kinetic energy? Let's say I picked up say a bowling ball, assuming all I got was its weight and the speed I accelerated it to, distance it went etc could I find out how much energy I was dealing with?

It's a bit more complicated than this since tensile strength is itself a function of temperature as was found at great cost when the 'Liberty Ships' broke up due to cold induced brittle failure.

Physics quest said:
1. So its not really related? strong metals may melt quicker than softer metals and its really just specific to the metal?
Like the guy said - the strength of materials also depends on temperature - and depend differently for different materials so material a is stronger than material B at temp T1, but it is reversed at T2. Like I said - go look.
2. So how do I find the change in kinetic energy? Let's say I picked up say a bowling ball, assuming all I got was its weight and the speed I accelerated it to, distance it went etc could I find out how much energy I was dealing with?

You can do it directly from difference of kinetic energy:
[itex]W=\frac{1}{2}mv_2^2 - \frac{1}{2}mv_1^2[/itex]

... for your example, you'd have to find the initial speed from kinematics.

[itex]v_1^2=v_2^2-2ad[/itex]

But I'd reason like this:

[itex]W=Fd[/itex] but [itex]F=ma[/itex] so [itex]W=mad[/itex] ;) and your example has all these. (Note: the KE method will produce the same formula.)

Hm these formulae are a bit beyond me. Do you mind breaking it down as basic as possible? without any abreviation?

1. What is the correlation between metal strength and melting point?

The correlation between metal strength and melting point refers to the relationship between a metal's ability to resist deformation under stress and its temperature at which it changes from a solid to a liquid state. This correlation is generally positive, meaning that as the melting point of a metal increases, so does its strength.

2. Are there any exceptions to the correlation between metal strength and melting point?

While the correlation between metal strength and melting point is generally positive, there are some exceptions. For example, alloys can have higher strength than their individual component metals, but may have a lower melting point due to the different atomic structures and bonding between the elements.

3. How is the correlation between metal strength and melting point determined?

The correlation between metal strength and melting point is determined through experimental testing and analysis. This involves subjecting different metals to various levels of stress and measuring their melting points, as well as other physical properties such as yield strength and tensile strength.

4. What factors can affect the correlation between metal strength and melting point?

There are several factors that can affect the correlation between metal strength and melting point. These include the type and amount of alloying elements present in the metal, the crystal structure of the metal, and any impurities or defects in the metal's atomic lattice.

5. How is the knowledge of the correlation between metal strength and melting point useful?

The knowledge of the correlation between metal strength and melting point is useful in various industries, especially in the manufacturing and construction of structures and components that require high strength and resistance to high temperatures. This information can also aid in the development of new alloys with desirable properties for specific applications.