Does ice melt faster in water because helps to change the phase

danielhaish
so according to this
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nucleation
nucleation start faster when there is a round matter that already in the phase that the other matter is going to ,so in case of ice melting in water because it would have more Nucleation points,
edit: i mafe alittle experience and it does melt faster, in water but in the intrent the answer is that watter clear the heat faster so . I made the same exprince with oil and it worked too but the time diffrance is very low

Last edited:

Answers and Replies

jrmichler
Mentor
The speed of ice melting is proportional to the heat transfer coefficient (search the term) and the temperature difference. Water has a higher heat transfer coefficient than oil, so ice in water will melt faster than ice in oil. Assuming, of course, that the water and oil are at the same temperature.

If you want to understand why the heat transfer coefficient differs between water and oil, spend some time with the above search. If what you find is difficult to understand, be advised that heat transfer is a junior level course in a college mechanical engineering curriculum. It comes after calculus, physics, and thermodynamics in a typical curriculum: https://www.mtu.edu/mechanical/undergraduate/advising/pdfs/bsme-2019-2020.pdf. So don't get discouraged.

• Informative
Likes danHa and berkeman
danHa
The speed of ice melting is proportional to the heat transfer coefficient (search the term) and the temperature difference. Water has a higher heat transfer coefficient than oil, so ice in water will melt faster than ice in oil. Assuming, of course, that the water and oil are at the same temperature.

If you want to understand why the heat transfer coefficient differs between water and oil, spend some time with the above search. If what you find is difficult to understand, be advised that heat transfer is a junior level course in a college mechanical engineering curriculum. It comes after calculus, physics, and thermodynamics in a typical curriculum: https://www.mtu.edu/mechanical/undergraduate/advising/pdfs/bsme-2019-2020.pdf. So don't get discouraged.
I also looks for this question over the internet

DrStupid
so in case of ice melting in water because it would have more Nucleation points

Can water ice be superheated?

DrStupid
i think the question is weather ice can stay solid in temperature that higher then 0

Isn't that what superheating means?

Likes danielhaish
danielhaish
yes you are right , I didn't get it

danielhaish
yes it might but this is not the case I already got my answer because the temperature is getting high faster in water

Suggested for: Does ice melt faster in water because helps to change the phase

Replies
Views
  • Last Post
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views