1. PF Contest - Win "Conquering the Physics GRE" book! Click Here to Enter
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Correlation coefficient of two-particle half-spin entangled state

1. Apr 5, 2010 #1
    Hi, I can't get my head around this question.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The Bell state:
    [tex]|\psi\rangle = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\left(|\uparrow_1\rangle|\downarrow_2\rangle +|\downarrow_1\rangle |\uparrow_2\rangle \right)[/tex]

Find the correlation coefficient of the measurement of the spins in the directions [tex]z,\phi[/tex].

2. Relevant equations
    [tex] C(\phi) = \langle S_{z1} S_{\phi 2} \rangle [/tex]

S takes the values [tex]\pm 1[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    I know that I need to calculate the probability of the states being parallel and subtract the probability that the states are anti-parallel. But how do you calculate those?

[tex]Pr(\uparrow_{z1}\uparrow_{\phi 2}) = \left|\langle\uparrow_{z1}\uparrow_{\phi 2} \left |\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\left(|\uparrow_1\rangle|\downarrow_2\rangle +|\downarrow_1\rangle |\uparrow_2\rangle \right)\right| \uparrow_{z1}\uparrow_{\phi 2} \rangle \right|^2[/tex]

Where do I go from here?

Last edited: Apr 5, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 5, 2010 #2
    I think I might be on to something with this, but am not quite there yet:

[tex] \hat{S}_z =\frac{\hbar}{2} \begin{pmatrix}1 & 0 \\ 0 & -1 \\ \end{pmatrix}[/tex]

Rotate by angles [tex]\theta, \phi[/tex] to get

[tex] \hat{S}_\phi = \frac{\hbar}{2} \begin{pmatrix} \cos \theta & \sin \theta e^{-i\phi} \\
    \sin \theta e^{i\phi} & -\cos \theta \end{pmatrix}[/tex]

Can I use this somehow to get the correlation coefficient?

Unfortunately the notation is getting a bit mixed up because in this post [tex]\phi = 0[/tex] and in the post above [tex]\phi[/tex] is used in place of [tex]\theta[/tex].
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook