1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Correlation energy between two electrons

1. Oct 11, 2012 #1
    Hello. I need to find the expectational value of the correlation energy between two electrons which repel eachother via the classical Coulomb interaction. This is given by the 6-dimensional integral:
    [itex]\left\langle\frac{1}{|\vec{r}_1 - \vec{r}_2|}\right\rangle =[/itex][itex]\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}[/itex][itex]d\vec{r}_1d\vec{r}_2[/itex][itex]e^{-2\alpha(r_1 + r_2)}[/itex][itex]\frac{1}{|\vec{r_1}-\vec{r_2}|}[/itex][itex][/itex]
    [itex]r_i = |\vec{r}_i|, \quad \vec{r}_i = x_i \hat{i} + y_i\hat{j} + z_i\hat{k}, \quad i = 1,2[/itex]
    I know that the answer is [itex]\frac{5\pi^2}{16^2}[/itex], however I can't seem to find a method for solving this type of integrals in any of my books. I have tried to use spherical coordinates, which seemed logical due to the answer having a factor of [itex]\pi^2[/itex], but with no luck. And it is a couple of years since I've been solving integrals like this one, so a nudge in the right direction is greatly appriciated.

(It is a bonus question in one of the projects in the course: computational physics)

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 12, 2012 #2
    Hello.
    Try using the law of cosines to expand the denominator and do one integral at a time.

4. Oct 12, 2012 #3
    Thank you for your reply.
    This is one of the things which I've been trying to do. However I end up with a result which is a very complicated integral. Expanding the difference of the length of the two vectors gives:
    [itex]|\vec{r}_1 - \vec{r}_2| = \sqrt{r_1^2 + r_2^2 - 2r_1 r_2 \cos\beta}[/itex] Where [itex]\cos\beta = \cos\theta_1\cos\theta_2 + \sin\theta_1\sin\theta_2 \cos(\phi_1 - \phi_2)[/itex]
    I then need to expand [itex]d\vec{r}_1[/itex] and [itex]d\vec{r}_2[/itex], which can be done in spherical coordinates as: [itex]d\vec{r}_i = r_i^2 \sin\theta_i dr_id\theta_id\phi_i, i = 1,2[/itex] or [itex]d\vec{r}_1d\vec{r}_2 = r_1^2r_2^2dr_1dr_2d\cos\theta_1d\cos\theta_2d\phi_1d\phi_2[/itex]
    This is were I end up with the integral
    [itex]\left\langle\frac{1}{|\vec{r}_1 - \vec{r}_2|}\right\rangle = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty}e^{-2\alpha(r_1 + r_2)} \frac{r_1^2r_2^2dr_1dr_2d\cos\theta_1d\cos\theta_2d\phi_1d\phi_2}{\sqrt{r_1^2 + r_2^2 - 2r_1 r_2\cos\beta}}[/itex]
    I can't seem to find a usefull relation between [itex]d\cos\theta_1d\cos\theta_2d\phi_1d\phi_2[/itex] and [itex]d\beta[/itex] or [itex]\cos\beta[/itex]. Any ideas on how I can proceed?
    Thanks in advance.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook