Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Correlation length from intensity profile

1. Nov 17, 2015 #1
    I want to calculate the correlation length of a rough surface from the intensity profile of diffuse and specular reflectance from that rough surface.

By fitting with the Gaussian curve, I calculated FWHM of the intensity profile.

Generally it is considered that

correlation length = 2/FWHM

I also found that, correlation length = 2*pi/FWHM

Under what conditions of the rough surface, the correlation length = 2*pi/FWHM

Thanks for any help.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 22, 2015 #2
    Thanks for the post! This is an automated courtesy bump. Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post?

4. Nov 22, 2015 #3

marcusl

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm not an expert in this area, but since you've received no answers I'll try to help. Do you know that your diffuse intensity is Gaussian distributed, or did you just choose that distribution? I would expect it to be Rayleigh distributed, and if you add a specular component it would become a Rician distribution.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook