1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cosine Rule , what good is it ?

1. Oct 16, 2006 #1
    Cosine Rule , what good is it ????

Does the Cosine rule hold true for say negative lengths ??? as in a vector quantity like displacement ???

I came across this problem which had -15km and 10km as the known sides whereas the angle opposite the unkown side is 60 degree ....

I tries using c^2 = a^2 + b^2 - 2*a*b cosC but this didnt work .... then on account of frustration i forcibly changed the '-' part of the formula to a '+' only to find that it works ... ???

Can someone explain this to me ??

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 16, 2006 #2
    ther is no such thing as negative lenght, there is negative coordinates since somepoint has to be 0 and one side will be posetive and the other negative

4. Oct 16, 2006 #3
    the 60 degrees is negative, because it is east of north.

5. Oct 16, 2006 #4
    negative displacement ????? would that apply to the cosine rule ?

6. Oct 16, 2006 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

There is no such thing as a negative length. A vector quantity (say, in a one-dimensional problem on a number line), or the components of the vector might be negative but the length is always non-negative. If you are using the cosine law in a vector problem, use the lengths, not the components.

7. Oct 16, 2006 #6
    so if i had a velocity oh say -15 km/hr ..... id use 15 instead of -15 ?? as one of the sides of a triangle ???

8. Oct 16, 2006 #7
    yes you would, because you only care about magnitude. The direction comes later.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?