Cosmology - determining if a model universe would recollapse

In summary, it appears that when the model reaches a value of a where f(a)=-1, it will eventually collapse.
James McKeets

Homework Statement

Show mathematically that a model with:
Ω_M0 = 3
Ω_Λ0 = 0.01
Ω_R0 = 0
Ω_T0 = 3.01
is a model that re-collapses in the future. Be certain to indicate at what value of the scale factor 'a' the expansion reverses and becomes contraction.

Homework Equations

It's hinted pretty strongly that we should probably be using:
( (d(a)/dt ) / a ) = H^2 {Ω_M0 a^{-3} + Ω_Λ0 - (Ω_T0 - 1) a^{-2}}
And that we should be solving a cubic somewhere along the way

The Attempt at a Solution

So my first plan (I've spent many many hours on this) was to move the 'a' over to the RHS, and then expand out the (d(a)/dt ) using the Friedman equations. This allowed me to reduce the data and find a cubic eq in 'a' such that:

3a^3+0.01a-3=0

However, when I plot this, I get an exponentially increasing line. I was expecting kinda an arch, which would tell me that scale factor has increased, then decreased back to 0.
Any ideas?

If you need more information about the problem, I'd be happy to help, including further information about what I've tried so far.

Many thanks,

James

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi James:

I have not seen these Ω subscripts before, and I am not sure what they represent. Are you working with the Lambda-CDM model Friedman equation of the form below with
Ωt = Ωradiation = ΩR,
Ωm = Ωmatter = ΩM,
Ωr = Ωcurvature= Ωk, and
ΩΛ = Ωdarkenergy?​
FriedmannEq.png

If you are not, then I think that is your problem. I am not sure, but I think the term that is zero should be the curvature term. On the other hand, you may want to set radiation to zero and have a positive curvature.

Also, usually the four Ω coefficients should sum to unity. If they don't, then a0 is not 1.

Good luck, and I hope this helps.

Regards,
Buzz

Hello,

Thank you so much for your reply.

I agree, the format is strange, however it's what we were provided with.
I believe your conversion of subscripts is correct.

I will continue working and post a solution if I find one. Thank you again for your helpJames

Likes Buzz Bloom
ΩHi James:

I suggest you compare your form of the Friedman equation with the one I quoted. I think you left out a "^2". You also need to use a/a0 rather than a, and you need to calculate a0 using the sum of the four terms Ωsubscript × a0n equals 1.

I also just thought another hint that might help you.

You do not need to solve the differential equation for da/dt. Since da/dt is a velocity what do you need to find out to see if the velocity changes to become negative.

Also, note that the value of H0 is not specified. Therefore da/dt must always become negative for any specific value of H0.

If this approach shows da/dt stays > 0, then you need to assume radiation is zero, and curvature is not zero.

ADDED
I noticed that
ΩR + ΩM + ΩΛ = ΩT.​
This suggests that the the curvature term
Ωk = 1-ΩT.​
This means that a0 = 1. See The the end of the "Density parameter" section of
Having a negative curvature makes it easy to show eventual collapse.

Regards,
Buzz

Last edited:
Hi @James McKeets:

I added something to my previous post which you may have missed.

I had one more clarifying idea.

You have an expression H2 = f(a). Taking the square root you get
H = (+/-)√f(a).​
This means that for every value of a where f(a)>0, f(a) can also be <0.
If there is no value of a for which f(a)=0, then the negative values are interpreted as time running backwards.
If there is a value of a for which f(a) = 0, say amax, then there is a corresponding value of t, say tamax.

For this case, think about what da(t-tamax)/dt and a(t-tamax) look like. Are there any symmetries with respect to tamax?

Regards,
Buzz

1. What is cosmology and how does it relate to determining if a model universe would recollapse?

Cosmology is the scientific study of the origin, evolution, and structure of the universe. It involves using mathematical models and observational data to understand the fundamental principles that govern the universe on a large scale. By studying the properties of the universe, cosmologists can determine the likelihood of a model universe recollapsing based on its characteristics.

2. What factors are considered when determining if a model universe would recollapse?

There are several key factors that cosmologists consider when evaluating the likelihood of a model universe recollapsing. These include the density of matter and energy in the universe, the expansion rate of the universe, and the curvature of space-time. These factors are all interconnected and can greatly influence the fate of a model universe.

3. How do scientists use observations to determine if a model universe would recollapse?

Scientists use a variety of observational data, such as measurements of the cosmic microwave background radiation and the distribution of galaxies, to determine the properties of the universe and its evolution. By comparing these observations to predictions from different models, they can determine if a model universe is likely to recollapse based on its characteristics.

4. Can we predict with certainty if a model universe will recollapse?

No, scientists cannot predict with certainty if a model universe will recollapse. The fate of a model universe depends on many complex factors and uncertainties, such as the existence of dark matter and dark energy, which are still not fully understood. However, by studying different models and their properties, scientists can make educated predictions about the likelihood of a recollapse.

5. What are the implications of a recollapsing universe?

If a model universe is determined to be likely to recollapse, it would have significant implications for the future of the universe. It would mean that the universe will eventually stop expanding and collapse back in on itself, potentially leading to a "Big Crunch" scenario. This could have major consequences for the existence of life and the overall fate of the universe.