1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

[cosmology] Find the comobile distance of a galaxy given redshift and H0.

1. Jul 16, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Calculate the comobile distance of a galaxy with z=7.3, H[itex]_{0}[/itex]=72 km/s/Mpc, universe with [itex]\Omega_{0}=\Omega_{0,m}=1[/itex]
    Calculate the scale factor when the galaxy emitted the light we receive today.

2. Relevant equations
    Friedmann equation

[itex](\frac{\dot{a}}{a})^{2}=(H_{0})^{2}[ \Omega_{0,r}(\frac{a}{a_{0}})^{-4}+\Omega_{0,m}(\frac{a}{a_{0}})^{-3}+(1-\Omega_{0})(\frac{a}{a_{0}})^{2}+\Omega_{\Lambda}][/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    With this model of universe Friedmann equation becomes:

[itex](\frac{\dot{a}}{a})^{2}=(H_{0})^{2}[\Omega_{0,m}(\frac{a}{a_{0}})^{-3}][/itex]

so

[itex](\frac{\dot{a}}{a})=(H_{0})(\frac{a}{a_{0}})^{-3/2}[/itex]

I should use the equation:

[itex]X=\int^{t 0}_{t em}\frac{cdt}{a\dot{a}}[/itex]

[itex]X=[/itex] comobile distance

..but i don't know how to put the scale factor into it.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 17, 2011 #2

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Welcome to Physics Forums!

Since you know [itex]z[/itex], and since [itex]z[/itex] is easily expressible in terms of the scale factor [itex]a[/itex], maybe you should use [itex]\dot{a} = da/dt[/itex] to eliminate [itex]dt[/itex] in

4. Jul 17, 2011 #3
    First of all, thank you,

i did the substitution, now the integral is in [itex]da[/itex]. I have problems using [itex]a_{0}[/itex]. If i use the scale factor without it, the conclusions should be the same....i think! I mean, if
    [itex]z_{mis}=\frac{1}{a_{em}}-1[/itex]
    then
    [itex]a_{em}[/itex] is [itex]\frac{a}{a_{0}}[/itex]

.....is it true?

I guess it is wrong, i think i didn't understand why the scale factor must be normalized..

5. Jul 17, 2011 #4

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I have had a closer look at this, and I think I have worked it out.
    Did you mean
    [tex]\chi = \int^{a_0}_{a_{em}}\frac{cda}{a\dot{a}} ?[/tex]
    I don't think so. I think that [itex]\chi[/itex] is the comoving coordinate and that the the comoving distance (what you are looking for) is [itex]a_0 \chi[/itex]
    I think
    [tex]z = \frac{a_0}{a_{em}} - 1[/tex]
    that is, you don't need to worry about the normalization.

I wrote the above in a hurry (my wife is pulling me out the door for a social engagement), so it might have some mistakes.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook