1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Could given function represent a travelling wave?

1. Apr 23, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Verify if given functions could possibly represent a travelling wave?

2. Relevant equations

a) [itex](x-(v*t))^{2}[/itex]

b) [itex]ln({(x+(v*t))/x_{0}})[/itex]

c) [itex]1/(x+(v*t))[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution

I suppose that for a function to represent a travelling wave, it must remain finite for all x & t. Hence, since (b) & (c) are infinity at x=t=0, they cannot represent a travelling wave.

Would I be correct to pursue this line of argument? If yes, then how should I proceed with (a)?

Would appreciate assistance.

Best regards,
    wirefree

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 23, 2012 #2
    Check if the given functions satisfy the wave equation: d^2(f)/(dx^2) = v^-2*d^2(f)/(dt^2)

4. Apr 25, 2012 #3
    Would I be correct to pursue my line of argument that for a function to represent a travelling wave, it must remain finite for all x & t?

If yes, then how should I proceed with (a) in the initial post?

Would appreciate an answer to my initial question.

Best regards,
    wirefree

5. Apr 27, 2012 #4

I am afraid we've not been taught the wave equation yet. The chapter I have finished covers topics incl. displacement relation in a progressive wave, speed of travelling wave, principle of superposition, and a couple of more.

I would greatly appreciate if you could address my query using simpler concepts, such as the one I have mentioned in my earlier post.

Best regards,
    wirefree

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook