Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Could given function represent a travelling wave?

1. Apr 23, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Verify if given functions could possibly represent a travelling wave?

2. Relevant equations

a) [itex](x-(v*t))^{2}[/itex]

b) [itex]ln({(x+(v*t))/x_{0}})[/itex]

c) [itex]1/(x+(v*t))[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution

I suppose that for a function to represent a travelling wave, it must remain finite for all x & t. Hence, since (b) & (c) are infinity at x=t=0, they cannot represent a travelling wave.

Would I be correct to pursue this line of argument? If yes, then how should I proceed with (a)?

Would appreciate assistance.

Best regards,
    wirefree

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 23, 2012 #2
    Check if the given functions satisfy the wave equation: d^2(f)/(dx^2) = v^-2*d^2(f)/(dt^2)

4. Apr 25, 2012 #3
    Would I be correct to pursue my line of argument that for a function to represent a travelling wave, it must remain finite for all x & t?

If yes, then how should I proceed with (a) in the initial post?

Would appreciate an answer to my initial question.

Best regards,
    wirefree

5. Apr 27, 2012 #4

I am afraid we've not been taught the wave equation yet. The chapter I have finished covers topics incl. displacement relation in a progressive wave, speed of travelling wave, principle of superposition, and a couple of more.

I would greatly appreciate if you could address my query using simpler concepts, such as the one I have mentioned in my earlier post.

Best regards,
    wirefree

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook