Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Could Human and Chimp Produce Offspring?

1. May 3, 2008 #1
    Hi,

Can H. sapiens and P. troglodytes produce (infertile) offspring? Has there ever been any experiments where this has been attempted? Which position is more theoretically sound?

2. jcsd
  3. May 5, 2008 #2
    I thought I heard somewhere once that is where AIDS came from? LOL <smirk>

4. May 5, 2008 #3

Mech_Engineer

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Many experiments have been tried over the years (mainly in the early 1900's). They have all failed rather embarassingly. I think Nazi Germany had a program with this is mind, to create super-soldiers with the strength of a chimp and the mind of a man. Also a disgusting failure.

5. May 5, 2008 #4
    I believe there was also someone in the Soviet Union trying to do such experiments. Also a failure and eventually the guy fell out of political favor and was sent to Siberia.

6. May 5, 2008 #5
    I prefer to think it was a bite. :yuck:

7. May 5, 2008 #6

jim mcnamara

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

8. May 5, 2008 #7
    Of course, I forgot the chromosomal fusion event. Thanks.

9. May 6, 2008 #8

jim mcnamara

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

This thread will be closed if you guys do not stop clowning around. The original question was valid, but this other stuff isn't.

10. May 6, 2008 #9
    So it seems like the answer is, yes it's been tried but without success and it is likely impossible due to the number of chromosomes...

Is it known how long ago this chromosome fusion event took place in the human line? Did Neanderthals have 23 chromosomes? Homo erectus? etc.

11. May 7, 2008 #10

jim mcnamara

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

To my knowledge there are no extant cells from H. neaderthalensis, for example. You need living cells or at least pretty well preserved tissue to answer that one. To make a karyotype requires a stained smear of a cell near metaphase in mitosis, or a germ cell in metaphase I in meiosis.

Here is what is involved in making your own karyotype:
    http://learn.genetics.utah.edu/units/disorders/karyotype/karyotype.cfm

12. May 17, 2008 #11
  13. May 17, 2008 #12

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What does that opinion have to do with the current thread? Granted, I only rapidly skimmed the article in your link, but a bit of explanation might help here.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?