Could Kiselev's geometry books complete H.S Geometry?

In summary, the conversation discusses various geometry textbooks and their suitability for different levels of study. The main focus is on Kiselev's Geometry books, which are highly praised for their precision and clarity. It is mentioned that the books are often used in Russian and Eastern European education, and have been adapted for the modern US curriculum. The conversation also touches on other geometry textbooks, such as Euclid's Elements and Lang's Geometry book, as well as the recommended reading order for Moise's Elementary Geometry from an Advanced Standpoint. Overall, the conversation highlights the quality and importance of Kiselev's Geometry books in the study of geometry.
Patrick Nguyen
I was wondering if I read Kiselev's geometry books, would it count as a whole high school geometry curriculum? Currently, I am reading his first book, Planimetry, which is coming out as promising. I am planning to self-study geometry.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think it would be good I'm not familiar with the US gradings but this is what Amazon writes on their site:

The book is an English adaptation of a classical Russian grade school-level text in solid Euclidean geometry. It contains the chapters Lines and Planes, Polyhedra, Round Solids, which include the traditional material about dihedral and polyhedral angles, Platonic solids, symmetry and similarity of space figures, volumes and surface areas of prisms, pyramids, cylinders, cones and balls. The English edition also contains a new chapter Vectors and Foundations (written by A. Givental) about vectors, their applications, vector foundations of Euclidean geometry, and introduction to spherical and hyperbolic geometries. This volume completes the English adaptation of Kiselev's Geometry whose 1st part ( Book I. Planimetry ), dedicated to plane geometry, was published by Sumizdat in 2006 as ISBN 0977985202.
Both volumes of Kiselev's Geometry are praised for precision, simplicity and clarity of exposition, and excellent collection of exercises. They dominated Russian math education for several decades, were reprinted in dozens of millions of copies, influenced geometry education in Eastern Europe and China, and are still active as textbooks for 7-11 grades. The books are adapted to the modern US curricula by a professor of mathematics from UC Berkeley.

So it goes until grade 11, so if I understand Wiki correct this is Senior Highschool.

It is great and very thorough. I much prefer Moise/Downs: Geometry. This book can be purchased for under 15 dollars.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0201050285/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Not sure why it is more expensive now. Maybe I bought all the cheap copies? I usually give these out to students.
Look around on other used book sites. Abehbooks is one of them.

It is a great book! I love the chapter that explains what existence and uniqueness is. Also, the chapter proof by contradiction. Really neat exercises. The book is engaging and well explained. I my only problem, is that the book lacks constructions, but since you have Kiselev, that is not in issue. He does have a chapter explaining contractions and the famous impossible constructions.

He wrote a really wonderful Calculus text that is a forgotten Gem.

So which is better for an introduction for undergraduates? Kiselev or Moise's Elementary Geometry from an Advanced Standpoint/Geometry?

shinobi20 said:
So which is better for an introduction for undergraduates? Kiselev or Moise's Elementary Geometry from an Advanced Standpoint/Geometry?

Elementary Geometry is not an itroduction. It should be read after finishing kiselev. The Moise geometry book I mentioned is his more elementary one.

MidgetDwarf said:
Elementary Geometry is not an itroduction. It should be read after finishing kiselev. The Moise geometry book I mentioned is his more elementary one.
So how does Kiselev compare to Lang's Geometry book?

Is it a good plan to read Lang's Geometry then Elementary Geometry from an Advanced Standpoint by Moise?

1. Could Kiselev's geometry books be used as a substitute for a traditional high school geometry curriculum?

It is not recommended to use Kiselev's geometry books as a complete replacement for a high school geometry curriculum. While the books cover many key concepts, they may not align with the specific standards and requirements of a traditional high school course.

2. Are Kiselev's geometry books appropriate for all levels of high school students?

Kiselev's geometry books are best suited for advanced or self-motivated students. The material may be too challenging for some students, especially those who are just starting to learn geometry.

3. Do Kiselev's geometry books cover all necessary topics in high school geometry?

Kiselev's geometry books cover a wide range of topics, but they may not cover every single topic that is typically taught in a high school geometry course. It is important to supplement the material with other resources and consult with a teacher or curriculum guide to ensure all necessary topics are covered.

4. Is it recommended to use Kiselev's geometry books in a classroom setting?

Kiselev's geometry books are not specifically designed for classroom use, but they can be used as a supplement or reference for a traditional geometry course. However, for optimal learning, it is recommended to use the books in a one-on-one or small group setting with a tutor or teacher.

5. Are Kiselev's geometry books suitable for students who are preparing for standardized tests like the SAT or ACT?

Kiselev's geometry books cover many key concepts that are tested on standardized exams such as the SAT and ACT. However, they may not align perfectly with the specific format and question types of these exams. It is recommended to use these books in combination with other test-specific resources for optimal preparation.