Entropy change of surroundings in a cyclic ideal gas process

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
35 replies · 3K views
Thermofox said:
Ok.
Q_{2-3}=Q_h
=> ##Q_h= nc_v \Delta T= 0.5 \frac 3 2 8.31 (T_3 - T_2)##, hence $$ T_2 = \frac {nc_vT_3 - Q} {nc_v}= 150.36 \frac J K$$

If I use this temperature I obtain that ##\Delta S_{4-2}= -11\frac J K##
=>##\Delta S_{1-2}= 0.41\frac J K##
That sounds right to me.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Philip Koeck said:
That sounds right to me.
This means That the entropy of the universe increased by 0.41, right?
I found ##\Delta S_{2-3,sys}= 4.16 \frac J K## and ##\Delta S_{3-1,sys}= -4.56\frac J K##
If I sum them I obtain that ##\Delta S_{sys}=0.01 \frac J K##, but I think I can consider this as an error of approximation.
Moreover does this mean that ##\Delta S_{surr.}= - \Delta S_{sys,2-3} + (-\Delta S_{sys, 3-1})= -4.16 + 4.56= 0.40 (\frac J K)##?
 
Thermofox said:
This means That the entropy of the universe increased by 0.41, right?
I found ##\Delta S_{2-3,sys}= 4.16 \frac J K## and ##\Delta S_{3-1,sys}= -4.56\frac J K##
If I sum them I obtain that ##\Delta S_{sys}=0.01 \frac J K##, but I think I can consider this as an error of approximation.
Moreover does this mean that ##\Delta S_{surr.}= - \Delta S_{sys,2-3} + (-\Delta S_{sys, 3-1})= -4.16 + 4.56= 0.40 (\frac J K)##?
Yes that sounds reasonable.
Without rounding errors the entropy for the system should be unchanged after one cycle, whereas the entropy of the surroundings should have increased (by about 0.41 J/K)
 
Ok, now I feel like I have a better understanding of all of this. Thanks a lot!
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Chestermiller and Philip Koeck
Thermofox said:
Ok, now I feel like I have a better understanding of all of this. Thanks a lot!
I have a follow-up question (also to @Chestermiller):

W1-2 has to be the same as -Qh so that ΔU becomes zero for a complete cycle.

If, however, I insist on calculating W1-2 as Pext ΔV I'm a bit stuck.
With Pext equal to P2, the internal pressure in state 2 (which seemed the obvious choice to me), I get only about half of -890 J.
Surely Pext can't be higher than P2.
 
Philip Koeck said:
I have a follow-up question (also to @Chestermiller):

W1-2 has to be the same as -Qh so that ΔU becomes zero for a complete cycle.
Philip Koeck said:
I have a follow-up question (also to @Chestermiller):

W1-2 has to be the same as -Qh so that ΔU becomes zero for a complete cycle.

If, however, I insist on calculating W1-2 as Pext ΔV I'm a bit stuck.
With Pext equal to P2, the internal pressure in state 2 (which seemed the obvious choice to me), I get only about half of -890 J.
Surely Pext can't be higher than P2.
Philip Koeck said:
If, however, I insist on calculating W1-2 as Pext ΔV I'm a bit stuck.
With Pext equal to P2, the internal pressure in state 2 (which seemed the obvious choice to me), I get only about half of -890 J.
Surely Pext can't be higher than P2.
Unless you know ##P_{ext}## explicitly for an irreversible expansion or compression, you can not determine the work (without solving the internal Navier Stokes equation, the continuity equation, and the differential thermal energy balances equation simultaneously).
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Philip Koeck