Could someone please explain this (simple) fact about Taylor expansions?

In summary, the conversation discusses expanding L(x+\Delta x) using Taylor's series and evaluating the derivatives at x. It is noted that replacing u with x+ \Delta x can help understand why dL/du = dL/dx.
AxiomOfChoice
My professor just told me that if [tex]\Delta x[/tex] is small, then we can expand [tex]L(x+\Delta x)[/tex] as follows:

[tex]
L(x + \Delta x) = L(x) + \frac{d L}{d x} \Delta x + \frac{1}{2!} \frac{d^2 L}{d x^2} (\Delta x)^2 + \ldots,
[/tex]

where each of the derivatives above is evaluated at [tex]x[/tex]. Could someone please explain why this is true? I just can't see it. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Let [itex]u= x+ \Delta x[/itex] and expand L(u) in a Taylor's series about the point u= x (NOT [itex]\Delta x[/itex]). Then, in that Taylor's series, replace u by [itex]x+ \Delta x[/itex] so that [itex]u- x= \Delta x[/itex].

HallsofIvy said:
Let [itex]u= x+ \Delta x[/itex] and expand L(u) in a Taylor's series about the point u= x (NOT [itex]\Delta x[/itex]). Then, in that Taylor's series, replace u by [itex]x+ \Delta x[/itex] so that [itex]u- x= \Delta x[/itex].

Thanks - that's very helpful.

Is it correct to argue that when you evaluate [tex]dL/du[/tex] at [itex]u=x[/itex], you can just replace the "u" in the "du" with an "x" and thereby turn [tex]dL/du[/tex] into [tex]dL/dx[/tex] (and so on and so forth, for higher derivatives of [itex]L[/itex])?

no you can't argue like that. you have to argue through the chain rule. i.e.

[tex]\frac{dL}{dx}=\frac{dL}{du}\frac{du}{dx}[/tex]

now calculate [itex]\frac{du}{dx}[/itex] and discover why dL/du = dL/dx

1. What is a Taylor expansion?

A Taylor expansion is a mathematical technique used to approximate a function using a series of polynomial terms. It is named after mathematician Brook Taylor and is often used in calculus to simplify complex functions and make them easier to work with.

2. How does a Taylor expansion work?

A Taylor expansion works by taking a single point on a function and expanding it into a series of polynomial terms, with each term representing a higher order of approximation. The more terms included in the expansion, the more accurate the approximation will be.

3. What is the purpose of using a Taylor expansion?

The purpose of using a Taylor expansion is to simplify complex functions and make them easier to work with. By approximating a function with a series of polynomial terms, it becomes easier to evaluate, differentiate, and integrate the function.

4. When should I use a Taylor expansion?

A Taylor expansion is commonly used in calculus, physics, and engineering to approximate functions and solve problems. It can also be useful in statistics and data analysis to model and predict data.

5. Are there any limitations to using a Taylor expansion?

Yes, there are limitations to using a Taylor expansion. It can only approximate a function within a certain range and will become less accurate as the function becomes more complex. Additionally, the expansion may not converge for some functions, making it impossible to use in those cases.