Could the scroll wheel be smoothed out with software?

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty of reading on a computer screen due to the jumping of the text when using the scroll wheel on a mouse. The suggestion is made for a mouse control panel adjustment to allow for smooth scrolling. It is noted that this feature may already be available in certain programs and can be easily found through a Google search. A solution is suggested in the form of a plug-in for Firefox that allows for smooth scrolling, with the option to customize the scrolling speed. The conversation ends with gratitude for the helpful solution.
Spinnor
Gold Member
When I read on a computer screen I like to use the scroll wheel on the mouse but when I do the text jumps and it is easy to loose my place when reading some text. Would it be hard to have a mouse control panel adjustment for the scroll wheel that could be set so as to allow the window to move up and down smoothly?

Thanks for any help or ideas!

Technology news on Phys.org
I think these are options that are usually set in individual programs (at least in Windows). You can probably just google for "smooth scrolling Program_X" and find a page on how to do it for Program_X (assuming the capability exists).

For instance, it's a plug-in for Firefox:
http://www.google.ca/search?q=smooth+scrolling+firefox

With my mouse, and I assume most mice, if I click the wheel, and then move the mouse up or down in relation to the circle that appears where I clicked, the screen scrolls slowly and smoothly. Or faster depending on how far from the point of origin I move the mouse. But I would definitely enjoy using the wheel normally and having the page scroll smoothly as opposed to the jumping you describe. I hate that, I lose my place a lot, like you.

MATLABdude said:
I think these are options that are usually set in individual programs (at least in Windows). You can probably just google for "smooth scrolling Program_X" and find a page on how to do it for Program_X (assuming the capability exists).

For instance, it's a plug-in for Firefox:
http://www.google.ca/search?q=smooth+scrolling+firefox

Scrolling much better now,

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/5846/

and a bargain at $2,

Thank you!

Yeah Thanks!, I just added this add-on and its great. I tweaked the green setting just a little tho.

5 Most Frequently Asked Questions about "Could the scroll wheel be smoothed out with software?"

Question 1: Why would the scroll wheel need to be smoothed out with software?

Answer: The scroll wheel on a computer mouse can sometimes feel jumpy or imprecise, making it difficult to smoothly scroll through content. Using software to smooth out the scroll wheel can improve the user experience and make scrolling more seamless.

Question 2: Can the scroll wheel be smoothed out on any type of computer?

Answer: Yes, the scroll wheel can be smoothed out on any computer that has a mouse with a scroll wheel. This includes both desktop and laptop computers.

Question 3: Is smoothing out the scroll wheel a difficult process?

Answer: It depends on the software used and the level of customization desired. Some software may have simple settings that can easily be adjusted, while others may require more technical knowledge to fine-tune the scroll wheel smoothing.

Question 4: Will smoothing out the scroll wheel affect the performance of my computer?

Answer: In most cases, no. Smoothing out the scroll wheel is a minor adjustment that should not have a significant impact on the performance of your computer. However, if the software used to smooth out the scroll wheel is resource-intensive, it may slow down your computer slightly.

Question 5: Can I undo the scroll wheel smoothing if I don't like it?

Answer: Yes, if you are using software to smooth out the scroll wheel, you can usually adjust or turn off the smoothing feature at any time. If you are not satisfied with the results, you can revert back to the default settings or try a different software.