1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Lightbulb brightness in a circuit

1. Feb 15, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The circuit has identical light bulbs. A fourth identical light bulb is added to the circuit. How does the brightness of the original light bulbs change?

a)All of them get dimmer
    b)X,Z get dimmer, Y brighter
    c)X,Z brighter, Y dimmer
    d)X,Y dimmer, Z brighter
    e)X,Y brighter, Z dimmer

2. Relevant equations
    ## P=I^2R ##
    ##R_{eq} = R_1 + R_2 (series)##
    ##\frac{1}{R_{eq}} = \frac{1}{R_1} + \frac{1}{R_2} (parallel)##

3. The attempt at a solution
    If I treat the light bulbs as identical resistors, then the equivalent resistance of the setup is R/3 since they are all parallel. If the fourth is added, then the equivalent resistance changes and I calculated that it becomes 2R/5, which means that more current will be drawn from the battery. If that's the case, I thought that X and Z would get brighter and Y would be dimmer, so c) would be my answer.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 15, 2015 #2
    I think you got the original equivalent resistance wrong. You should calculate the equil. resistance of Y and Z first using the formula for parallel resistors and add it to X in series.

after that you could think about the effect of the additional resistor on the voltage distribution of X and the branches

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted