Could this function be approximated by Dirac delta function?

In summary, the conversation discusses a function defined in frequency space and the need to integrate it with another function. The integration proves to be too complicated and the question arises whether the function can be approximated by a delta function without causing problems in physics. The solution suggested is to shuffle some of the function onto the other and use a modified function to achieve the desired result.
Haorong Wu
TL;DR Summary
Under what conditions, could a function be replaced by a delta function?
hi, there. I am doing some frequency analysis. Suppose I have a function defined in frequency space $$N(k)=\frac {-1} {|k|} e^{-c|k|}$$ where ##c## is some very large positive number, and another function in frequency space ##P(k)##. Now I need integrate them as $$ \int \frac {dk}{2 \pi} N(k) P(k).$$However, the integration wil be too complicated to be solved.

Meanwhile, I notice that, ##N(k)## is infinite when ##k\rightarrow 0##, and decreases to zero rapidly when ##k \ne 0##. However, the integral of $$ \int dk N(k)$$ is also infinite. I am not sure whether I could approximate ##N(k)## by ##\delta(k)## or not. Would it yield problems in physics?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
No. There are three facts that you want for a function that acts like a delta function are:

1. ##f(k) \rightarrow \text{very large}## when ##k \rightarrow 0##
2. ##f(k) \rightarrow 0## when ##k \rightarrow \infty##
3. ##\int_{-\infty}^{+\infty} f(k) dk = 1##

Your function has properties 1 and 2, but not 3.

You could shuffle some of N onto P. Like if you said ##\tilde{N}(k)= e^{-c|k|}/\sqrt{|k|}## and ##\tilde{P}(k)=P(k)/\sqrt{|k|}## you might be able to do something.

As c goes to infinity the integral of ##\tilde{N}## is not constant, so you would also need to shuffle around some ##c## stuff in order to get this to totally work.

1. What is a Dirac delta function?

A Dirac delta function, also known as the Dirac delta distribution, is a mathematical function that is defined as zero everywhere except at one point, where it is infinite. It is often used in physics and engineering to represent a point charge or a point mass.

2. How is the Dirac delta function used to approximate a function?

The Dirac delta function is used to approximate a function by convolving it with a narrow, tall pulse. This results in a function that is very close to the original function, but with a sharp peak at the point of approximation.

3. What are the advantages of using a Dirac delta function for approximation?

The Dirac delta function has several advantages for approximation, including its ability to accurately represent a point charge or point mass, its simplicity in mathematical calculations, and its ability to handle discontinuous functions.

4. Are there any limitations to using the Dirac delta function for approximation?

Yes, there are limitations to using the Dirac delta function for approximation. It is only accurate for functions that are smooth and continuous, and it can only approximate functions with a single point of discontinuity. It also requires careful handling in mathematical calculations.

5. How does the use of Dirac delta function impact the accuracy of the approximation?

The accuracy of the approximation using the Dirac delta function depends on the width and height of the pulse used for convolution. A narrower and taller pulse will result in a more accurate approximation, while a wider and shorter pulse will result in a less accurate approximation.