Could this happen? Proton-Antineutron Collision

Char. Limit
Gold Member

Main Question or Discussion Point

OK, let's say we had a proton and an antineutron. The proton, I believe, is composed of two up quarks and a down quark. The antineutron is probably composed of two down antiquarks and one up antiquark. My question is, if these were to collide, would one down quark from the proton collide with one down antiquark from the neutron, and one up quark from the proton would collide with one up antiquark from the neutron, creating a particle composed of an up quark and a down antiquark? So, I guess I have three questions:

1. Would a collision work like I stated above?
2. Would an up-quark down-antiquark particle be made?
3. Would such a particle be stable?

Answers and Replies

K^2
Science Advisor
1) Yes, but also a ton of energy will be released, so new quarks/anti-quarks can be produced, allowing for different combinations of products than you stated. In fact, you may end up with quarks other than up/down and their anti-particles.

2) It could be. This meson is called a pion. There are 3 different pions, and this is the positively charged one, [itex]\pi^+[/itex].

3) No, it is not stable. It will decay into either a positive muon or a positron + corresponding anti-neutrino and some gamma radiation. Muon will subsequently decay as well, most likely into positron, muon neutrino, and anti-neutrino, also releasing energy. A positron will eventually annihilate with an ambient electron producing gamma radiation.

Note that in all possible scenarios, you do end up with loose neutrinos that don't disappear.