Coulomb Law and Vectors - How do you find a scalar answer from the vector form?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
bmarson123
Messages
24
Reaction score
0
Coulomb Law and Vectors - How do you find a scalar answer from the vector form??

Two small metal spheres carry equal charges q. They are located at positions r1 = (1,1,0) nm and r2 = (0,0,0) nm and feel a repulsive force of magnitude (mod) F = 0.05 N

How much charge is on each sphere?

Write down the force on the charge at r2 in vector form.

What is the potential energy contained in this arrangement of charges?



Homework Equations


F21 = K q1q2 / r213 * r21


The Attempt at a Solution



First I thought I needed to convert everything into standard measurements, so metres.

But then when I put things into the equation I thought maybe stuff canceled out. But I figure I can't use F = 0.05N directly because in this equation F is a vector?

Anyway what I did was...

0.05 = K 2q / [(1,1,0) - (0,0,0)]3 * [(1,1,0) - (0,0,0)]

Then said that the vectors top and bottom cancel out so got...

0.05 = 2qk

which gave q = 2.8 x 10 -13 C

I didn't have a clue where to start with the rest of the question!
 
Physics news on Phys.org


F21 = K q1q2 / r213 * r21

The r21^3 in the denominator should really be |r21|^3: the cube of the absolute magnitude of the distance between the two charges. The equation would then give you the force exerted as a vector.

However, you don't really care about the direction of the force; all you know is the magnitude, which is 0.05N. So you should use F=kq1*q2/r^2, where r is just the distance between the two charges. Note that it's q1*q2, not q1+q2!