Coulombic interaction between the proton and electron of a hydrogen atom

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 4K views
Demon117
Messages
162
Reaction score
1
In the position representation, its true that we can use operators to represent the coulombic interaction between the proton and electron of a Hydrogen atom. I've never actually given any thought as to what the elements of such an operator would be (in matrix form of course). I know these elements would have to do with the principle, angular momentum, and magnetic quantum numbers but I cannot seem to come up with something. Is there anyone out there that is familiar with this notion who could tell me what that would be and why?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm confused--are you just asking about the behavior of an electron in a Coulomb potential? If so, that's a pretty standard problem, and the equation can be found in just about any QM book. The quantum numbers you mention arise from the multiplicity of the solutions to that equation.
 
I am confused also. There are three common models for the hydrogen atom:

1) Solution to the non-relativistic Schroedinger equation
2) Solution to the relativistic Schroedinger equation.
3) Solution to the relativistic Dirac equation (with spin-orbit coupling)

The energy levels for the first model is degenerate in the magnetic moment (no fine structure).

Why don't you show us what you expect to see.

Bob S