Coulomb's Law: Determining the velocity of a charge when far apart

In summary, the three charges are released from an equilateral triangle and the speed of each charge is the same.
lilpoopoo

Homework Statement

"Three identical charges, each with charge 'Q' and a mass 'm', are arranged on the corners of an equilateral triangle of side length 'L'. The spheres are released simultaneously. What is the speed of each charge when they are very far apart?

Homework Equations

F = [(kq1q2)/r2] * r^
F = ma

The Attempt at a Solution

Since all of the charges are the same, and they are equidistant from one another, then the force on each should be identical.

I calculated the force on one charge (A) from the other two (B & C).

Therefore:

Fon A = (kQ2(root 3/4 L2))/L3

or (kQ2sin(60))/L2

So for each individual charge, the force on A should be the same, as above, for B & C.

My issue is that I can't figure out how to calculate the velocity from this...

Or am I going completely in the wrong direction? :frown:

Edit: Forgive my equations, I haven't figured out how to make them nice. It's my first post.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi lilpoopoo. Welcome to Physics Forums.

Did you consider looking at the problem from a conservation of energy point of view?

Hi gneill. Thanks :)

Okay, so I did what you suggested, not sure if it's correct though.
------

So we know the potential energy difference is:

V = (kq)/r​

And we know

PE = KE​

Therefore:

1/2 mv2 + 1/2 mv2 + 1/2 mv2 = (kq)/r + (kq)/r + (kq)/r​

v = root [(2kQ)/(mr)]​

--------
I'm not sure about the 'r' part. Would that be the distance from the horizontal line drawn between the two charges at the base of the triangle up to the top charge at the apex, which is root (3/4 L2)?

lilpoopoo said:
1/2 mv2 + 1/2 mv2 + 1/2 mv2 = (kq)/r + (kq)/r + (kq)/r​

v = root [(2kQ)/(mr)]​

--------
I'm not sure about the 'r' part. Would that be the distance from the horizontal line drawn between the two charges at the base of the triangle up to the top charge at the apex, which is root (3/4 L2)?

You're on the right track, but your electric potential calculation needs a tiny bit of massaging.

You're looking for the potential energy stored in the system when it's assembled in the triangle form. To calculate the potential energy you take the charges involved pairwise and calculate the individual potential energies, and sum them up. This appears to be what you were going for in your equation above. However, the potential energy for a pair of charges Q1 and Q2 separated by distance R (center to center distance) is:

[tex] PE = k\frac{Q1\;Q2}{R} [/tex]

Note that the both Q values are required. Thanks to the particular triangular layout, the distance between all the charges is the same, L.

Okay, so doing the pairwise additions would yield:

(3/2) mv^2 = (kQ1Q2)/R + (kQ2Q3)/R + (kQ1Q3)/R

And since each charge is the same, +Q, and the charges are all 'L' distance apart:

(3/2) mv^2 = (kQ^2)/L + (kQ^2)/L + (kQ^2)/L

Therefore:

v = root [(2kQ^2)/(mL)]

:uhh:

----
Edit: Also, is there a way to easily access our own posts? I just keep looking for it with search terms.

Last edited:
lilpoopoo said:
Edit: Also, is there a way to easily access our own posts? I just keep looking for it with search terms.

The primary forum page has the list of threads. If you've registered with a valid email address, then email notifications of additions to threads that you are subscribed to will be sent to it.

You can also select "My Pf" at the top of the page. If you don't see your thread i n the main section (perhaps it's no longer a "new" thread"), you can always select "List Subscriptions" under "My Control Panel". Your thread should show up there.

Personally, I tend to use the email notifications to find things. I just hit the link in the message and the browser opens to that message.

Oh, alright. Got it. Thanks :)

So was my solution correct?

lilpoopoo said:
Oh, alright. Got it. Thanks :)

So was my solution correct?

It looks okay to me. Why, aren't you happy with it? :smile:

Haha, no. Just unsure. Physics doesn't come easy for me. Thanks so much for your help.

1. How does Coulomb's Law determine the velocity of a charge when far apart?

Coulomb's Law is a fundamental law in electromagnetism that describes the force between two charged particles. By using this law, we can calculate the force between two charged particles and then use Newton's Second Law of motion to determine the velocity of the charged particle when far apart.

2. What is the formula for Coulomb's Law?

The formula for Coulomb's Law is F = k * (q1 * q2) / r2, where F is the force between two charged particles, k is the Coulomb's constant, q1 and q2 are the charges of the particles, and r is the distance between them.

3. How does distance affect the velocity of a charged particle according to Coulomb's Law?

According to Coulomb's Law, the force between two charged particles is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. This means that as the distance between the particles increases, the force decreases. As a result, the velocity of the charged particle will also decrease as the distance increases.

4. Can Coulomb's Law be applied to moving charges?

Yes, Coulomb's Law can be applied to moving charges. However, it becomes more complex as the motion of the charges must also be considered in the calculation of the force and velocity.

5. Are there any limitations to using Coulomb's Law to determine the velocity of a charged particle when far apart?

Yes, there are limitations to using Coulomb's Law to determine the velocity of a charged particle when far apart. This law assumes that the particles are point charges and that there are no other external forces acting on them. In reality, this may not always be the case and can affect the accuracy of the calculation.