Coulomb's Law involving triangle

In summary: So the conservation of energy equation tells us how much energy is being used up by the forces. Once we know how much energy is being used up, we can use that to determine how close 3 can get to 2.
Benny851

Homework Statement

There are three point masses. 1 is fixed in space with the 2nd point mass directly below it on the ground. The 3rd point mass is an unknown distance to the right of mass number 2. These 3 point masses for a rt triangle with point 2 at the 90 degree angle. The vertical distance between point mass 1 and 2 is 1.5 m. The mass of each point mass is 5.5kg. Also there is kinetic friction between point mass 2 and the ground. All three point masses have a charge of +15 Coulombs. If mass 3 starts moving toward mass 2, how far away from 2 will 3 be when 2 starts to move?

Homework Equations

F=MA
F=Eq
F=Qq/r^2
F=KQ/R^2

This problem seems to combine coulomb's law with with 2-d motion. However, I am stumped as to how to combine the 2 concepts. also, not knowing the original starting distance between 3 and 2 is complicating matters.

The Attempt at a Solution

I am able to calculate the force that 1 exerts on 2 no problem but have no idea how to figure out the force that 3 exerts on 2. i also have no idea how to incorporate friction

Physics news on Phys.org
It is the same as normal only now you know the origins of the forces.
Draw a free body diagram for mass 2.

I see what you mean. So the force acting on 2 is equal to the frictional coefficient*(mg + force of 1 acting on 2), right.

I'm thinking I use the conservation of energy equation to determine how far 3 is from 2 when 2 starts to move, is that right?

How does conservation of energy help here?
Why not just add up all the forces - you know what they have to sum to?
Keep the variables (it helps that all the masses and charges are the same) and solve for the distance to charge 3.

I am a little confused still. I have calculated the original distance between 2 and 3 before 3 starts to move from the right. Does 2 start to move at same time 3 starts to move, if so then the original starting distance is the distance from 2 that I am solving for.

Last edited:
Does 2 start to move at same time 3 starts to move
Of course not :)
3 starts out so far away that the friction is enough to hold 2 where it is.
As 3 approaches 2, the coulomb force increases - at some point the force will be so large that the friction no longer holds 2 in place.

All the problem wants to know is how close 3 can get to 2 without 2 moving.

1. What is Coulomb's Law involving a triangle?

Coulomb's Law involving a triangle is a mathematical formula used to calculate the force between three charged particles that are arranged in a triangle formation. It takes into account the distance between the particles and the magnitude of their charges.

2. What is the equation for Coulomb's Law involving a triangle?

The equation for Coulomb's Law involving a triangle is F = k(q1q2/r1 + q2q3/r2 + q1q3/r3), where F is the force between the particles, k is the Coulomb constant, q1, q2, and q3 are the charges of the particles, and r1, r2, and r3 are the distances between the particles.

3. How do you determine the direction of the force using Coulomb's Law in a triangle?

The direction of the force between the particles can be determined by using vector addition. The force vector will point in the direction of the resulting vector when adding up all three individual force vectors between the particles.

4. What is the significance of the Coulomb constant in this law?

The Coulomb constant, represented by the letter k, plays a crucial role in Coulomb's Law involving a triangle. It is a proportionality constant that helps determine the strength of the force between the particles based on their charges and the distance between them. It has a value of approximately 9x10^9 Nm^2/C^2.

5. Can Coulomb's Law involving a triangle be used for any type of charged particles?

Yes, Coulomb's Law involving a triangle can be used for any type of charged particles, as long as they are arranged in a triangular formation. This law is a fundamental principle in electrostatics and is applicable to all types of charged particles, including protons, electrons, and ions.