The time for a proton to reach a certain velocity

In summary: Is the distance the same as the diameter, or half that, or something else?In summary, the problem asks for the time it takes for two protons to reach a speed of 1 m/s in order to touch, assuming the electric field does not alter their straight path. Using Coulomb's law, the distance between the protons can be calculated as the diameter or half the diameter, and this should be taken into account in the solution.
dirb
Homework Statement
Find the time so the proton reaches 1 m/s
Relevant Equations
Coulomb's law
A nuclear reactor is built to fuse two hydrogen atoms that are already ionized to protons. However, the electric field of the protons are becoming a significant obstacle. If the reaction was to be defined as H2--> 2H++2e-, if the mass of a proton is mp, the radius of a proton r the charge of an electron is e and the coulomb constant k. How fast should the two protons reach 1 m/s so that they touch? Assuming that the protons have a straight path

Can anybody give a hint on what concept I should use? I was thinking of energy and momentum which I am unsure of, though the most confusing part for me is the distance of the protons, should i use the diameter instead of the radius?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't understand how the electric field can be both "a significant obstacle" and "negligible" ##-## can you please post the complete and exact original problem statement, along with your attempt at a solution?

sysprog said:
I don't understand how the electric field can be both "a significant obstacle" and "negligible" ##-## can you please post the complete and exact original problem statement, along with your attempt at a solution?
Sorry, It was supposed to be "assuming the electric field doesn't change the proton's straight path."

dirb said:
Sorry, It was supposed to be "assuming the electric field doesn't change the proton's straight path."
That seems to me to mean that we can treat the system as single-vector, which means that we can see the acceleration as the second derivative of position wrt time, without bothering with a tensor system, but I'd still like to see the original problem statement, and your attempt at a solution.

dirb said:
Homework Statement:: Find the time so the proton reaches 1 m/s
Relevant Equations:: Coulomb's law

the distance of the protons, should i use the diameter instead of the radius?
Presumably you are taking the charges to be effectively points at the centres of the protons. So how close do those get?

Likes sysprog

1. How is the velocity of a proton measured?

The velocity of a proton can be measured using a variety of methods, such as particle accelerators or detectors that measure the deflection of charged particles.

2. What factors affect the time it takes for a proton to reach a certain velocity?

The time it takes for a proton to reach a certain velocity can be affected by factors such as the initial velocity, the strength of the applied force, and any external forces acting on the proton.

3. Can the time for a proton to reach a certain velocity be calculated?

Yes, the time for a proton to reach a certain velocity can be calculated using the equation t = v/a, where t is the time, v is the final velocity, and a is the acceleration.

4. How does the speed of light affect the time for a proton to reach a certain velocity?

The speed of light is the maximum speed at which any object can travel, and it affects the time for a proton to reach a certain velocity by limiting how fast the proton can accelerate.

5. Can the time for a proton to reach a certain velocity be changed?

Yes, the time for a proton to reach a certain velocity can be changed by altering the initial conditions or the forces acting on the proton. For example, increasing the strength of the applied force would decrease the time it takes for the proton to reach a certain velocity.