1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Coulombs Law solving for electrostatics force

1. May 9, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A small spehere with charge of +6.0uc is located near two other small charged spheres. A -3.0uc sphere is located 4.00 cm to the right and a +1.5uc sphere is located 3.00 cm to the left. Determine the resultant electrostatics force on the 6.0uc sphere.

Correct answer is 190N

2. Relevant equations

1C=1x10^6uc F=KQ1Q2/D62

3. The attempt at a solution
    download-2.jpg

Last edited: May 9, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. May 9, 2010 #2
    where is your attempt ?..

anyway, I`ll give a hint: try to find out the electric field produced from the sphere located to the right on a point located 4cm to the left of it, then find the electric field from the sphere located to the left on a point located 3cm to the right of it .. then (along with the fact that electric field is a vector) find the resulant electric field at that point , and make use of the relation F = q*E ..

4. May 9, 2010 #3
    My attempt is in the picture. I converted everything and then used the equation F=KQQ/D^2 and stuff but idk what to do after that.

5. May 9, 2010 #4
    i can not follow what you did in the attachment (forgive my poor eyes) .. Can you please write what you have done so I can help..

6. May 9, 2010 #5
    Sure I can do that. First i converted the givens to coulombs then the two outside spheres i got there information and then plugged them into the formula F=kq1q2/D2 for both sides but still i got the wrong answer

7. May 9, 2010 #6
    the question is asking to find the force on the sphere of charge 6 micro c.. and since you have two spheres then you are should have two forces acting on the sphere of 6 micro c.. You will have F1 between the sphere of 6 micro c and the sphere of -3 micro c, and F2 between the sphere of 6 micro c and the sphere of 1.5 micro c .. Then your answer will be simply F=F1 + F2 ..

NOTE: dont forget that F is a vector and F1+F2 is vector addition (i.e. Determine the direction of each force) ..

Good luck ..

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook