Electrostatic Force and Coulomb's Law

In summary: Solve that for x.In summary, to find the position at which a third charge, of 12.0 x 10-9C, can be placed so that the net electrostatic force on it is zero, we use Coulomb's Law to calculate the magnitude of the forces on the third charge due to the two other charges. By setting the sum of these forces equal to zero and solving for the distance between the negative charge and the third charge, we can determine the position where the net force on the third charge is zero.
cheerspens

Homework Statement

A charge of 6.00 x 10-9C and a charge of -3.00 x 10-9C are separated by a distance of 60.0 cm. Find the position at which a third charge, of 12.0 x 10-9C, can be placed so that the net electrostatic force on it is zero.

Homework Equations

Coulomb's Law

The Attempt at a Solution

I drew a diagram and I believe that the third charge should be place on the end next to the -3.00 x 10-9C charge. How do I solve for the distance/location of this charge?

Physics news on Phys.org
This question belongs in the introductory physics forum.

Let

x = distance from the negative charge to the third charge
d = distance between the positive and negative charges
q1 = positive charge
q2 = negative charge
q3 = third charge.

In terms of the variables:

What's the magnitude of the force on the third charge due to the negative charge?
What's the magnitude of the force on the third charge due to the positive charge?
What's the magnitude of the net force on the third charge?

So you set the magnitude of q1 on q2 equal to the magnitude of q3 on q2 and solve for the distance (d-.6)?

No. For one thing, d is equal to 0.600 m. It's the distance between the positive and negative charges.

(q1=+6.00 nc) <---------------- d=0.600 m ----------------> (q2=-3.00 nc)

You're trying to find x, the distance between the negative charge and the third charge, which I haven't shown in the diagram. Can you indicate where you think the third charge goes?

(q1=+6.00 nc) <---------------- d=0.600 m ----------------> (q2=-3.00 nc) -------->(q3)

I would get something like that, but I must have fudged my numbers somewhere because I get that it needs to be 3.8m away from q1 and 2.7m away from q2. That wouldn't work as that's more than 0.6m difference, and one needs to keep the problem 1D, else we'll get a net force in the y axis.

What's the magnitude of the force on q3 due to q1 in terms of q1, q3, d, and x?
What's the magnitude of the force on q3 due to q2 in terms of q2, q3, d, and x?

Once you have those, you want to sum the forces and set the total equal to 0. You'll have an equation where the only unknown is x.

What is electrostatic force?

Electrostatic force is the force of attraction or repulsion between two charged objects. It is caused by the presence of electric charges, either positive or negative, which create an electric field.

What is Coulomb's Law?

Coulomb's Law is a fundamental law of physics that describes the relationship between electrostatic force, electric charge, and distance. It states that the magnitude of the electrostatic force between two charged objects is directly proportional to the product of their charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

What are the units of electrostatic force and electric charge?

The SI unit of electrostatic force is Newtons (N) and the SI unit of electric charge is Coulombs (C).

How is electrostatic force calculated?

Electrostatic force can be calculated using Coulomb's Law, which is expressed as F = kq1q2/r^2, where F is the electrostatic force, q1 and q2 are the charges of the two objects, r is the distance between them, and k is the proportionality constant (9 x 10^9 Nm^2/C^2).

What are some real-life applications of electrostatic force and Coulomb's Law?

Electrostatic force and Coulomb's Law have numerous applications in everyday life, including the operation of electronic devices, such as computers and cell phones, the functioning of batteries and generators, and the attraction and repulsion of protons and electrons in atoms. They are also used in scientific experiments, such as in particle accelerators, and in industries such as painting, printing, and air filtration.