Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Counter in multisim with four seven segment displays

1. Mar 24, 2009 #1
    Im creating a counter in multisim with four seven segment displays. My task is to make them count from 59.59 - 00.00 My question now is how do i make it stop on 00.00 and how do i do so when i reset it so it says 59.59 and not some random numbers.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 24, 2009 #2

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Re: Counter!

Tell us more about your proposed design first.

- Warren

4. Mar 24, 2009 #3

ive attached the circuit down..im a neewbie at both digital electronics and multisim!

Attached Files:

5. Mar 24, 2009 #4

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I don't really want to read your schematic, wo0bin. Besides, I can't -- it's too small. Instead, I want you to describe your design idea in words, something like this:

"I want to use a _________, the output of which will go through a ______, then a _____, which will drive the 7-segment display."

Also, I don't really understand your assignment. Is your counter supposed to be free-running, counting from 00:00 to 59:59, then rolling over back to 00:00?

- Warren

6. Mar 24, 2009 #5

I can't read your schematic, either. You will need to compare the count to zero. What ICs are you using for counters?

7. Mar 24, 2009 #6

im building a counter too but mine runs a little differently. Im using 4029 up down counters where u can preset whether to count up or down. You can set the value by using the jam input to the value u want to start at and use the clock input to count down with the frequency of the clock. HOWEVER.. the second least significant bit im assuming cannot be great than or equal to 6 so your going to have to find a way to control the maximum value of that display to 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, or 5.... other than that, it should run fine straight til it gets to oo.oo

Hope my n00b expertise helps

8. Mar 24, 2009 #7

Actually i think i figured out what you can do. You can make the seconds count down the way i mentioned previously to 59.00, than attach the Cout to Cin of the 59 minute counters so it decrements that to 58 minutes and reload the 59 seconds back to the seconds counters and count down again....this will repeat till it goes to 00.00

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook