Counter in multisim with four seven segment displays

• Thread starter wo0bin
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Counter
In summary, the group is discussing the creation of a counter in multisim with four seven segment displays. The task is to make the counter count from 59.59 to 00.00 and then stop. There is a question about how to make it stop on 00.00 and how to reset it to 59.59. One member has shared their design using 4029 up down counters and suggests controlling the maximum value of the second least significant bit. Another member suggests using the Cout and Cin of the 59 minute counters to decrement the seconds and reload the seconds back to count down again until it reaches 00.00.
wo0bin
Im creating a counter in multisim with four seven segment displays. My task is to make them count from 59.59 - 00.00 My question now is how do i make it stop on 00.00 and how do i do so when i reset it so it says 59.59 and not some random numbers.

Engineering news on Phys.org

Tell us more about your proposed design first.

- Warren

ive attached the circuit down..im a neewbie at both digital electronics and multisim!

Attachments

• sevensegmett.jpg
    sevensegmett.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 1,466

I don't really want to read your schematic, wo0bin. Besides, I can't -- it's too small. Instead, I want you to describe your design idea in words, something like this:

"I want to use a _________, the output of which will go through a ______, then a _____, which will drive the 7-segment display."

Also, I don't really understand your assignment. Is your counter supposed to be free-running, counting from 00:00 to 59:59, then rolling over back to 00:00?

- Warren

I can't read your schematic, either. You will need to compare the count to zero. What ICs are you using for counters?

im building a counter too but mine runs a little differently. I am using 4029 up down counters where u can preset whether to count up or down. You can set the value by using the jam input to the value u want to start at and use the clock input to count down with the frequency of the clock. HOWEVER.. the second least significant bit I am assuming cannot be great than or equal to 6 so your going to have to find a way to control the maximum value of that display to 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, or 5... other than that, it should run fine straight til it gets to oo.oo

Hope my n00b expertise helps

Actually i think i figured out what you can do. You can make the seconds count down the way i mentioned previously to 59.00, than attach the Cout to Cin of the 59 minute counters so it decrements that to 58 minutes and reload the 59 seconds back to the seconds counters and count down again...this will repeat till it goes to 00.00

1. What is a counter in multisim with four seven segment displays?

A counter in multisim with four seven segment displays is a digital circuit component that can count and display numbers using four seven segment displays. It can be programmed to count in different modes such as binary, decimal, or hexadecimal, and can be used for various applications such as timers, clocks, and frequency counters.

2. How does a counter in multisim with four seven segment displays work?

A counter in multisim with four seven segment displays works by using a combination of digital logic gates and flip-flops to count and display numbers. The inputs to the counter control the counting mode, while the outputs are connected to the seven segment displays to show the current count.

3. Can I customize the counting sequence in a counter with four seven segment displays?

Yes, you can customize the counting sequence in a counter with four seven segment displays. Multisim allows you to program the counter using a variety of digital logic components, allowing you to create a custom counting sequence based on your specific needs.

4. What are the advantages of using a counter in multisim with four seven segment displays?

The advantages of using a counter in multisim with four seven segment displays include its ability to count and display numbers accurately and quickly, its versatility in counting modes and customizability, and its compact and easily integrated design. It is also a cost-effective solution for many digital counting applications.

5. Are there any limitations to using a counter in multisim with four seven segment displays?

One limitation of using a counter in multisim with four seven segment displays is that it can only display numbers and not other characters or symbols. It is also limited to counting within a certain range, depending on the number of bits used in the counter. Additionally, the circuit may become more complex when using multiple counters for larger counting ranges.