Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Counterexample to the Poynting theorem

1. Mar 13, 2018 #1
    The counter-example is as follows: We have a rectangular toroid ferrite(ring ferrite), magnetized in a closed loop around the ring. We put capacitor plates on top and bottom surfaces, with suitable direction. Now the Poynting vector points inwards or outwards. We look at a cylindrical surface passing through the middle of the thickness of the ring. There is surface integral of the Poynting vector! But there is no free current, and electromagnetic energy is constant. Which seems to violate the Poynting theorem. Any exmplanation?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 13, 2018 #2

Charles Link

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Very clever !! Just a guess=I'm no expert on the topic, is that the Poynting vector applies to electromagnetic wave propagation, and here there is no propagating wave.

4. Mar 13, 2018 #3

phyzguy

Science Advisor

Feynman talks about just this case. See Figure 27-6 in the attached link. What you have is a circulating energy flow. I think you have no way to prove that electromagnetic energy is not circulating around the ferrite ring, so it is not really a counterexample.

5. Mar 13, 2018 #4

anorlunda

Staff: Mentor

That means either that your statement of the problem is wrong, or the analysis is wrong, or that you may misunderstand Poynting's Theorum.

Either post a link to your source, or show diagrams and your math coming to that conclusion. Otherwise, this thread may be deleted.

6. Mar 13, 2018 #5
    Here is a diagram of what I mean by this description.

Attached Files:

7. Mar 13, 2018 #6

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2017 Award

It can't be that! It's a paradox, I tell you! A paradox!

As drawn, the Poynting vector is zero. The E field in a conductor is zero and the B field, as drawn, does not leave the iron.

I fear the next step will be the Yeahbuts. I stipulate that had he asked a different question he would get a different answer. But for what he actually drew, S is zero.

8. Mar 13, 2018 #7

phyzguy

Science Advisor

Ferrites are typically non-conductive, or at least very resistive. So I don't think you can conclude that E=0.

9. Mar 13, 2018 #8

Charles Link

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The case of a toroidal wound solenoid, without any core, carrying a DC current would follow the diagram of the OP, and would illustrate what the OP was trying to show.

10. Mar 13, 2018 #9

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2017 Award

Our very first Yeahbut!

11. Mar 13, 2018 #10

berkeman

It appears that you have ignored what @phyzguy posted, and have not read his link... That's not conducive to a good discussion...

12. Mar 13, 2018 #11

Dale

It is not possible for a source/field configuration to both satisfy Maxwell’s equations and violate Poynting’s theorem. However, I must admit that in this case it isn’t clear to me which is the problem.

@goran d can you show that your proposed configuration satisfies Maxwell’s equations?

13. Mar 13, 2018 #12

Charles Link

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

In the "link" supplied by @phyzguy in post 3, Feynman basically writes off the dilemma posed by the OP as a non-issue.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted