Counting Combinations: How to Divide 4 Articles Between 2 People | Homework Help

In summary, the conversation is discussing the ways to divide 4 articles between 2 people, with the condition that each person must receive at least one article. The correct answer is 14 ways, found by using combinations notation to calculate the number of ways to make selections from the 4 articles.
lionely

Homework Statement

In how many ways can 4 articles be divided between 2 people when each person must receive at least one article?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried it like this

Person 1 could have ( 3,2 or 1 paper(s) )

Person 2 the same so

total # ways = 6 + 6 = 12

But this is wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
The number of articles each person has is not independent.
It is not clear that the articles are identical - suspect not.

Label the articles 1,2,3,4
(note: an "article" need not be a paper - it can be any object, like "an article of clothing".)

Label people as A and B (Alice and Bob, say).

Now list the different ways Alice and Bob can have some stuff.
Start by giving Alice one article and Bob the rest.
Then give Alice two articles, then three.

So like A-1, B-3 = 3 ways
A-2, B-2 = 4 ways

A-3,B-1 = 3 ways
So total # = 10 ways?

Nevermind I got it thanks.

Well done: what did you come up with?
(JIC someone else gets stuck - then they benefit from your efforts)

I had the first possibility ( 4C1 x 3C3)
2nd (4C2 x 2C2)
3rd (4C1 x 3C3)

Then I added them up to get the total number of ways of carrying out the selections. I got 14.

Cool - what made you suddenly switch to combinations notation?

The question amounts to asking the number of ways Alice can pick at most 3 articles out of 4 when the order doesn't matter.

That's (4x3x2)/(3x2)+(4x3)/(2)+4=4+6+4=14.

There's so few you can just list them.

Usually when I can't count it out lol I try Combinations, some times it just seems easier with combinations.

1. How do I divide 4 articles between 2 people?

To divide 4 articles between 2 people, you can use the formula nCr, where n represents the total number of articles and r represents the number of people. In this case, n=4 and r=2. Therefore, the total number of combinations is 4C2, which is equal to 6. This means that there are 6 ways to divide 4 articles between 2 people.

2. What is the difference between permutations and combinations?

Permutations and combinations are both ways to calculate the number of possible outcomes in a given situation. However, permutations take into account the order of the elements, while combinations do not. In other words, permutations are ordered arrangements, while combinations are unordered selections.

3. Can you provide an example of counting combinations?

Sure! Let's say we have a bag with 5 different colored marbles: red, blue, green, yellow, and purple. We want to know how many combinations of 3 marbles we can choose from the bag. Using the formula nCr, we get 5C3, which is equal to 10. Therefore, there are 10 different combinations of 3 marbles that we can choose from the bag.

4. Are there any shortcuts for counting combinations?

Yes, there is a formula for calculating combinations called the factorial formula. It is represented by n!/(r!(n-r)!), where n represents the total number of items and r represents the number of items to be selected. This formula can save time when dealing with larger numbers.

5. How can counting combinations be used in real life?

Counting combinations can be used in various real-life scenarios, such as determining the number of possible combinations for a lock or code, calculating the number of different meal options at a restaurant with a set menu, or determining the number of different outfits that can be created using a certain number of clothing items. It is also commonly used in probability and statistics to calculate the likelihood of certain outcomes.