1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Couple of algebra questions I'm struggling with

1. Jan 10, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    a.) If the roots of equation px2 - 4x + 1 are equal then find value of p
    b.) Prove that the equation (k - 2)x2 + 2x - k = 0 has real roots (upside down A symbol) k E R

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I just don't know how to approach these questions. For a.) it says roots are equal meaning theres only 1 root but how do I find out what that root is if I have a constant in there?

For b.) I have the same problem. I would usually plug an equation into the quadratic formula to find out if it has real roots but in this case theres a constant so I'm lost. Do I have to find this constant first and if so how?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 10, 2009 #2
    I'm pretty sure you just need to consider the discriminant.

For a) What does the discriminant have to be for the two roots to be equal (hint: look at the quadratic equation)

For b) Compute the discriminant
  4. Jan 10, 2009 #3
    Ah yea I didn't think about the fact it has to come to 0 thanks a lot. Can you verify my answer real quick I got P = 4 for a.)

For b.) do I need to find out what k is first?
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2009
  5. Jan 10, 2009 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, p=4. For the second one look at the discriminant again. You can't find k. You just need to show that the discriminant is nonnegative for all k.
  6. Jan 10, 2009 #5
    Yes, p = 4 is correct. You should verify it by factoring the the expression and checking to see that there is only one root.

For b), no, the question suggests that k is any real number. The idea is to show that no matter what k is, the roots of the resulting quadratic are real.

Remember, the discriminant is the quantity under the square root. What should the sign of the discriminant be?
  7. Jan 10, 2009 #6
    Ah right that clears it up thanks a lot for the help.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?