Couple of algebra questions I'm struggling with

  • Thread starter Thread starter MadmanMurray
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Algebra Couple
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 2K views
MadmanMurray
Messages
76
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


1.)
a.) If the roots of equation px2 - 4x + 1 are equal then find value of p
b.) Prove that the equation (k - 2)x2 + 2x - k = 0 has real roots (upside down A symbol) k E R




Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution


I just don't know how to approach these questions. For a.) it says roots are equal meaning there's only 1 root but how do I find out what that root is if I have a constant in there?

For b.) I have the same problem. I would usually plug an equation into the quadratic formula to find out if it has real roots but in this case there's a constant so I'm lost. Do I have to find this constant first and if so how?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm pretty sure you just need to consider the discriminant.

For a) What does the discriminant have to be for the two roots to be equal (hint: look at the quadratic equation)

For b) Compute the discriminant
 
Ah yea I didn't think about the fact it has to come to 0 thanks a lot. Can you verify my answer real quick I got P = 4 for a.)

For b.) do I need to find out what k is first?
 
Last edited:
Yes, p=4. For the second one look at the discriminant again. You can't find k. You just need to show that the discriminant is nonnegative for all k.
 
Yes, p = 4 is correct. You should verify it by factoring the the expression and checking to see that there is only one root.

For b), no, the question suggests that k is any real number. The idea is to show that no matter what k is, the roots of the resulting quadratic are real.

Remember, the discriminant is the quantity under the square root. What should the sign of the discriminant be?
 
Ah right that clears it up thanks a lot for the help.