Courses and Additional Study required for Grad School Physics

In summary: I don't know if an MS in Physics or Mathematics will increase your chances, but it's certainly worth looking into. The Physics department at your university might have a few more courses that would be beneficial, such as Classical Mechanics or Statistical Physics. In summary, the physics department at the National University of Science and Technology is bad, but you can still get a good degree by studying engineering courses and taking some physics classes on the side.
interhacker
Gold Member
I've applied to the best ranked (according to QS) university in my country, the National University of Science and Technology (NUST). Of course the university isn't really all that nice in international standards, but in impoverished third-world standards, its facilities and faculty are pretty tolerable. The trouble is, NUST has a (half-)decent electrical engineering department, but an utterly horrible physics department. Therefore I've listed a BS in Electrical Engineering as my first preference on the application.

Now, I dream of getting a Ph D. in Theoretical Physics (ideally from an Ivy league) . Assuming I get admitted to NUST, I don't think the course curriculum for Electrical Engineering will cover everything I need to get a good score in the GRE Physics subject test and to get started learning graduate-level Physics. Therefore, I would really appreciate it if anyone could look over the course curriculum I linked and tell me:

• The Elective Courses I should take that would help me later on in graduate-level Physics.
  • The additional study I'll need to do in order to cover things possibly not included in the Core and Elective courses listed in the Course Curriculum.

I look forward to your advice. All the best. :)

P.S The availabe Elective Courses are listed at the end of the webpage I linked.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Can you dual major?

What makes the physics dept. so bad for an undergraduate? Lacking research opportunities is not good, but otherwise the courses probably use similar texts to other universities. You are of course free to study as rigorously as you want, regardless of how rigorous your assignments are.

Likes 1 person
Thank you for helping me. :)

ModusPwnd said:
Can you dual major?

No, sadly I don't think the university allows double majors.

ModusPwnd said:
What makes the physics dept. so bad for an undergraduate? Lacking research opportunities is not good, but otherwise the courses probably use similar texts to other universities. You are of course free to study as rigorously as you want, regardless of how rigorous your assignments are.

The School of Natural Sciences, where Physics majors go to, is probably the worst school in the university. I don't know any graduate who managed to get into a decent Ph D. programme anywhere. Plus in my country getting a BS in Engineering is one of the few ways of avoiding unemployment and bankruptcy. So (in my parents' words) I definitely need to get at least a BS in Engineering before I can try out 'riskier' career-paths like Physics.

Will doing the Engineering BS make my chances of getting a Ph D. in Physics impossibly low? What courses should I take to improve my odds?

Last edited:
From what I can tell you're going to definitely need elective courses in upper-level undergraduate Classical Mechanics and Quantum Mechanics (and possibly upper-level statistical physics and Electricity & Magnetism, depending on what is covered in your curriculum). The math curriculum looks pretty standard for what is needed in physics (as far as I can tell from course names.)

One problem you might have is that you want to do theory and are aiming for top schools in the US. If you wanted to cross over into experimental physics, EE seems like a good background. However, for theory it's really much better to have a much stronger physics/mathematics background. The competition for theoretical physics PhDs at the ivies is also very stiff and you'd be much better off starting the right way with a physics degree. Is there any way for you to apply to schools outside your country?

Likes 1 person
If the physics instruction is poor, it will be every bit as poor for an EE major as a physics major, right? I don't see how majoring in EE will better prepare you for a physics degree.

My advice is the same as Pakistani physicists have done for decades. Get out at your first opportunity.

Likes 1 person
I would major in EE and take some physics classes on the side (classical mechanics, E&M, statistical physics, and QM are the main ones).

when I say classical mech and E&M I mean the upper level ones.

Last edited:
Likes 1 person
myranaira said:
One problem you might have is that you want to do theory and are aiming for top schools in the US. If you wanted to cross over into experimental physics, EE seems like a good background. However, for theory it's really much better to have a much stronger physics/mathematics background. The competition for theoretical physics PhDs at the ivies is also very stiff and you'd be much better off starting the right way with a physics degree.

I see. Will doing an MS in either Physics or (Applied) Mathematics raise my chances of getting into a Theoretical Physics Ph D. programme? I know grad schools in the US usually don't require an MS for applying to a Ph D. programme as the duration of their Ph D. programmes is about 2 years longer than say, universities in the UK. But I don't really mind spending an extra two years for my MS if it raises my chances and gives me the necessary mathematics/physics skills I need for Theoretical Physics.

Vanadium 50 said:
If the physics instruction is poor, it will be every bit as poor for an EE major as a physics major, right? I don't see how majoring in EE will better prepare you for a physics degree.

Well, yes. But the School of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science has its own department of Basic Sciences for teaching some of the math and physics courses it offers. The faculty there isn't ideal either, but it is slightly better than that at the School of Natural Sciences where physics majors go.

Vanadium 50 said:
My advice is the same as Pakistani physicists have done for decades. Get out at your first opportunity.

You're right. But it was very difficult to get admitted to and afford foreign universities for a BS. Getting into grad school abroad is easier and most Pakistani physicists do that.

Last edited:
Physics_UG said:
when I say classical mech and E&M I mean the upper level ones.

Classical Mechanics at the level of Goldstein, for example?

No, Goldstein is graduate-school level. Try something like Marion or Symon instead.

Likes 1 person

1. What type of courses should I take in preparation for grad school in physics?

It is important to have a strong foundation in physics, mathematics, and other related sciences. Specifically, courses in classical mechanics, electromagnetism, quantum mechanics, and thermodynamics are essential. Additionally, courses in computer programming, statistics, and experimental design can also be beneficial.

2. Are there any specific additional study requirements for grad school in physics?

This varies depending on the program and institution. Some programs may require additional coursework in a specific area of physics, while others may require a research project or thesis. It is important to research the specific requirements of the programs you are interested in.

3. Is it necessary to have a background in a specific area of physics for grad school?

While having a background in a specific area of physics can be beneficial, it is not always necessary. Many programs will provide the necessary coursework to build a strong foundation in a specific area of physics. However, if you have a particular research interest, it may be helpful to have some background knowledge in that area.

4. Can I take additional courses during my undergraduate studies to better prepare for grad school in physics?

Absolutely! Taking additional courses, especially in areas that you may be weaker in, can help strengthen your overall understanding and preparation for grad school. It can also be beneficial to take advanced courses in your specific area of interest to gain a deeper understanding.

5. Are there any recommended extracurricular activities or experiences that can enhance my grad school application for physics?

Engaging in research projects, internships, or participating in physics-related clubs or organizations can demonstrate your passion and dedication to the field. These experiences can also provide valuable skills and knowledge that can be applied in graduate studies and research. Additionally, presenting at conferences or publishing papers can also strengthen your application.