Courses for freshman year in physics

In summary, the speaker's school is divided into four terms per year and they are planning to focus on math courses for their first year. They are undecided on their major and are concerned about scheduling conflicts between math and physics courses. They have some self-study experience in math but are unsure if they are good at it. They are seeking advice on which courses to take and considering adding some programming courses. Some of their classmates are taking a mix of humanities and science courses and the speaker is considering doing the same to have a more well-rounded college experience. They also mention taking a course in real analysis, which may not be as relevant for their physics major compared to other math courses. They are open to taking some humanities courses that interest them but
ephedyn
1. My school's divided into 4 terms per year.

2. I decided to rack up on math completely for the first year. To begin with, I'm told that no one can decide for me what's the best way to arrange my schedule, I just know I'd hate taking a physics course and its prerequisite concurrently. Also, I'm undecided on my major. The more practical issue is that the math department is much smaller than the physics department here: there are some courses which are only offered in alternating years (I'm planning to take abstract algebra, an upper course in PDEs, an upper course in ODEs and an upper course in complex analysis next year) or terms, while I have no lack physics courses to sign up for when I need to, even during the summer.

3. I don't think I'm good at math. I do have nearly 1 year of credit (calculus, ODEs, linear algebra, statistics, mechanics, electromagnetism, intros to thermodynamics/QM/special relativity) and a gap year of self-study. I felt that some of my picks are a little ambitious, so don't hold back on the criticisms.

4. Please advise - should I take some of these later, substitute any with prerequisite courses? And I don't know what to fill for the empty bits - maybe some programming? Thanks!

Fall/1
[?]
[?]
Boundary value problems
Real analysis

Fall/2
Group theory
Differential geometry
Boundary value problems (cont.d)
Real analysis (cont.d)

Spring/1
[?]
Complex variables with applications
Calculus of variations
Fourier transforms and distributions

Spring/2
[?]
[?]
Partial differential equations
Fourier transforms and distributions (cont.d)

Physics news on Phys.org
Wow, I wish I had your schedule! Doesn't your university make you do general requirements.. like history, english, and other foolish things?

Exactly how long are these terms? If they are just normal terms cut in half, it seems odd you'd be able to have a genuine course on group theory, for example, without it just being a brief introduction. Other than that, it looks like a fun and productive year - solid courses.

Okay, I'm happy to have both of your reassurances. Most of my classmates seem to be taking mixes of mechanics; calculus 3 or 4; differential equations; and some electives for the start, and I was feeling alienated.

^Oh, I'm glad I'm not the only one who hates those "foolish things"! There's only the restriction that I have to complete them before I'm awarded my degree... I'm aiming to finish those related to my major/cores first, and spend the last year of college doing the electives to meet their requirements for "foolish things"...

^Yep, they're normal terms cut in half. I had that feeling too - they offer separate courses in rings, fields, Galois theory for completeness, I guess.

By the way, my school doesn't accept my calculus 4 credit. Should I take calculus 4 for credit for 1-3, and the sake of a possibly earlier graduation, or pursue more meaningful courses with the time?

Well, I thought that I should do the opposite of what you were doing. That is, take all my humanities classes and whatnot at a community college and then transfer to a university to take the 'real' classes. But let me tell you.. you definitely need some exciting things in your life. Without much motivation, I'd probably hate my life if I had to take all humanities in one or two semesters.

Just a thought.

I like that idea, taking as much as you can at community college first. Taking lower division classes at a university is a big waste of money.

real analysis for a physics major?

ephedyn said:
Okay, I'm happy to have both of your reassurances. Most of my classmates seem to be taking mixes of mechanics; calculus 3 or 4; differential equations; and some electives for the start, and I was feeling alienated.

^Oh, I'm glad I'm not the only one who hates those "foolish things"! There's only the restriction that I have to complete them before I'm awarded my degree... I'm aiming to finish those related to my major/cores first, and spend the last year of college doing the electives to meet their requirements for "foolish things"...

^Yep, they're normal terms cut in half. I had that feeling too - they offer separate courses in rings, fields, Galois theory for completeness, I guess.

By the way, my school doesn't accept my calculus 4 credit. Should I take calculus 4 for credit for 1-3, and the sake of a possibly earlier graduation, or pursue more meaningful courses with the time?

As much as I love your schedule, the calc 3 and 4 and diff equations courses would probably be more relevant to any physics courses you take than things like abstract algebra, group theory, analysis and differential geometry. Honestly, those probably won't be helpful for any courses you take before graduate school. Also, I'm surprised that your calculus of variations course doesn't have calc 4 as a prereq. Since I don't know what your options are, I can't offer much advice. Programming is a great idea though, as it could get you some leverage into computational physics. Physicists with very strong math backgrounds who can program are in short supply and can achieve a lot in fields like QCD where analytic solutions are impossible or not known to be possible.

Well, I thought that I should do the opposite of what you were doing. That is, take all my humanities classes and whatnot at a community college and then transfer to a university to take the 'real' classes. But let me tell you.. you definitely need some exciting things in your life. Without much motivation, I'd probably hate my life if I had to take all humanities in one or two semesters.

Just a thought

Sure, I'll keep that in mind. There are a few areas of humanities which I actually enjoy and should be able to clear my requirements through: economics, music, design, perhaps a foreign language. (I really hate PE and literature classes though.) But getting to masquerade as an arts major for a semester or two shouldn't be that bad!

real analysis for a physics major?

The course is actually "measure theory and Lebesgue integration". I'm taking it earlier than I wanted to, [STRIKE]but[/STRIKE] since (edit) I thought it's best to schedule it before partial differential equations.

As much as I love your schedule, the calc 3 and 4 and diff equations courses would probably be more relevant to any physics courses you take than things like abstract algebra, group theory, analysis and differential geometry. Honestly, those probably won't be helpful for any courses you take before graduate school. Also, I'm surprised that your calculus of variations course doesn't have calc 4 as a prereq. Since I don't know what your options are, I can't offer much advice. Programming is a great idea though, as it could get you some leverage into computational physics. Physicists with very strong math backgrounds who can program are in short supply and can achieve a lot in fields like QCD where analytic solutions are impossible or not known to be possible

You're right, calc 4 is recommended as a prerequisite. But my college doesn't enforce the prerequisites. Here's the other options that I have in mind, mostly for widening the breadth of my foundation:

Fall/1
Applied statistics
Linear programming
Discrete mathematics (computational course)

Fall/2
Numerical methods for ODEs
Continuum modeling
Discrete optimization
Principles of statistics

I'll look for a programming course as tipped!

Last edited:

What are the basic courses required for freshman year in physics?

The basic courses required for freshman year in physics typically include introductory physics, calculus, and chemistry. Depending on the program, students may also be required to take courses in algebra, trigonometry, and biology.

What are the benefits of taking physics courses in freshman year?

Taking physics courses in freshman year can help students develop critical thinking skills, problem-solving abilities, and a deeper understanding of the natural world. It can also lay the foundation for more advanced courses in physics and other related fields.

What can I expect from a freshman year physics course?

A freshman year physics course will typically cover topics such as mechanics, thermodynamics, electricity and magnetism, and waves and optics. Students can expect a mix of lectures, labs, and problem-solving assignments.

Are there any recommended textbooks for freshman year physics courses?

There are many textbooks available for freshman year physics courses, and the one recommended will depend on the specific curriculum and instructor. Some popular options include "Physics for Scientists and Engineers" by Giancoli, "University Physics" by Young and Freedman, and "Fundamentals of Physics" by Halliday, Resnick, and Walker.

What are some potential career paths for students who take freshman year physics courses?

Students who take freshman year physics courses may go on to pursue careers in a variety of fields, such as engineering, research, medicine, education, and technology. Physics courses can also provide a strong foundation for graduate studies in physics or related fields.