Covariant derivative of an anti-symmetric tensor

In summary, you might need to redefine the exterior derivative to include the Christoffel connection.
Irid
Given an antisymmetric tensor

[itex]T^{ab}=-T^{ab}[/itex]

show that

[itex]T_{ab;c} + T_{ca;b} + T_{bc;a} = 0[/itex]

If I explicitly write out the covariant derivative, all terms with Christoffel symbols cancel pair-wise, and I'm left to demonstrate that

[itex]T_{ab,c} + T_{ca,b} + T_{bc,a} = 0[/itex]

and this I have no idea how to do. Could anybody put me on the right track please?

Physics news on Phys.org
OK I just came up with an idea. Assuming (under what conditions?!) that I can express

[itex] T_{ab} = T_{a,b}-T_{b,a} [/itex]

so as to get antisymmetry, and doing the same for all three terms, they all cancel pair-wise, on the condition that ordinary partial derivatives commute. So my updated question now is, (i) can I always regard a generic tensor T_ab as a partial derivative of some other tensor T_a, and (ii) do the partial derivatives always commute?

Have you presented your problem correctly? You're second equation presented in post #1 doesn't seem to be generally true.

In any case, I don't see any obvious tricks. Just expand your covariant derivatives into partial derivatives and connection terms using the general rule for tensors with lower indices that you've been given.

What you have in post #2 is not even close.

I've been given this question as an assignment. Anyway, if the proposition is not true, could you suggest a counter example such that

[itex] T_{ab;c} + T_{ca;b} + T_{bc;a} \neq 0 [/itex]

when [itex] T_{ab} = -T_{ba}[/itex]?

T is a 2-form. dT is a 3-form which is generally non zero, unless T is exact. The question probably assumes working on a manifold with trivial de Rham cohomology, thus T is assumed to be exact.

Last edited:
Irid said:
I've been given this question as an assignment. Anyway, if the proposition is not true, could you suggest a counter example such that

[itex] T_{ab;c} + T_{ca;b} + T_{bc;a} \neq 0 [/itex]

when [itex] T_{ab} = -T_{ba}[/itex]?

Sure. For antisymmetric tensors with lower indeces

[tex]T_{ab;c} + T_{ca;b} + T_{bc;a} = T_{ab,c} + T_{ca,b} + T_{bc,a} [/tex]

is always true for a Christoffel connection (and I think, any connection). Can you demonstrate this by expansion?

Yes, I have demonstrated it. What remains to show is that the right-hand-side is identically equal to zero (or give a counter example).

Irid said:
Yes, I have demonstrated it. What remains to show is that the right-hand-side is identically equal to zero (or give a counter example).

OK, so you no longer need to involve the Christoffel connection but just use the covariant derivatives

This defines the exterior derivative of an asymmetric tensor with two lower indices:

[tex]\partial_{[a} T_{bc]} \equiv T_{ab,c} + T_{ca,b} + T_{bc,a}[/tex]

a, b, and c are cyclically permuted in each term.

Hint: The exterior derivative is not in general zero, as bigubau has pointed out.

P.S. I was a lot sleepier than I thought when I first posted this, so left out a constant. For T antisymmetric,

[tex]\partial_{[a} T_{bc]} \equiv 6 \left[ T_{ab,c} + T_{ca,b} + T_{bc,a} \right][/tex]

Last edited:
Shouldn't this be in HOMEWORK?

Likes manakasinah
Naty1 said:
Shouldn't this be in HOMEWORK?

Are you offended?

maybe I should be ..having been severely chastised in the past for once simply posting a technical question in the wrong techncial section...

1. What is a covariant derivative of an anti-symmetric tensor?

The covariant derivative of an anti-symmetric tensor is a mathematical operation that describes how the tensor changes along a given direction or coordinate system. It takes into account both the change in the tensor's components and the change in the underlying coordinate system.

2. Why is the covariant derivative of an anti-symmetric tensor important?

The covariant derivative of an anti-symmetric tensor is important because it allows us to describe the behavior of tensors in situations where the underlying coordinate system is changing. This is particularly useful in fields like physics and engineering, where objects may be moving or deforming in different ways.

3. How is the covariant derivative of an anti-symmetric tensor calculated?

The covariant derivative of an anti-symmetric tensor is calculated using the Levi-Civita connection, which is a mathematical tool for calculating derivatives in curved spaces. It involves taking the partial derivatives of the tensor's components and applying a correction term to account for the change in the coordinate system.

4. What is the difference between covariant derivative and ordinary derivative?

The covariant derivative takes into account the change in the underlying coordinate system, while the ordinary derivative only considers the change in the function's values. This means that the covariant derivative is more general and applicable in a wider range of situations, particularly in curved spaces.

5. Can the covariant derivative of an anti-symmetric tensor be visualized?

Yes, the covariant derivative of an anti-symmetric tensor can be visualized in terms of its geometric interpretation. In a curved space, the covariant derivative can be thought of as the change in the tensor's components as it is transported along a curve, taking into account the curvature of the space.