Covariant derivative repect to connection?

In summary, the covariant derivative with respect to the connection is a special type of derivative for vector fields on a manifold, where the direction of the derivative is taken into account by a connection. A connection is a way of assigning "horizontal" directions to points on a manifold, and the covariant derivative uses this to calculate the derivative of a vector field in a given direction. To understand the concept of connection, one must also be familiar with the concept of fiber bundles and parallel transport. The Levi-Civita connection in General Relativity is a specific type of connection that is used in this theory.
noomz
Could anyone tell me about the covariant derivative with respect to the connection?

Physics news on Phys.org
Let V be the set of smooth vector fields on a manifold M. A connection is a map [itex]\nabla:V\times V\rightarrow V[/itex] such that

(i) [tex]\nabla_{fX+gY}Z=f\nabla_X Z+g\nabla_YZ[/tex]

(ii) [tex]\nabla_X(Y+Z)=\nabla_XY+\nabla_XZ[/tex]

(iii) [tex]\nabla_X(fY)=(Xf)Y+f\nabla_XY[/tex]

The map [itex]\nabla_XY[/itex] is the covariant derivative of Y in the direction of X. The covariant derivative operator corresponding to a coordinate system x is

[tex]\nabla_{\frac{\partial}{\partial x^\mu}[/tex]

The notation is often simplified to

[tex]\nabla_{\partial_\mu}[/tex]

or just [itex]\nabla^\mu[/itex].

That might be enough to get you started, but maybe I just told you what you already know. You might want to check out the Wikipedia articles with titles "affine connection", "levi-civita connection", "parallel transport" and "covariant derivative".

I'm working on a general relativity project, about Palatini formalism. I've been studying differential geometry for a while in order to understand covariant derivative and connection. What you've just told me I've read it a little but I don't understand enough. To understand covariant derivative with repect to connection what do I need to know? In general, covariant derivative respect to what? Now I'm so confused. hahaha ^^

I think that the connection you mean is the Levi-Civita connection of General Relativity.
The Levi-Civita connection is a special connection defined on the tangent bundle of a Riemannian manifold. To understand the general concept of connection you have to know fiber bundles. Fiber bundles are similar to Cartesian product with the difference that they have only one canonical projection instead of two. Think for example of a beehive hairstyle like of Marge Simpson from The Simpsons. This is a fiber bundle with a 3-dimensional total space and a 2-dimensional base space. The total space is the hairdo itself while the base space is the skin of the head. The fibers are the hairs. The projection projects each point inside the hairdo to the skin along the hair present at this point. But other projection doesn't exist. Each hair is regarded as a "vertical" line, but "horizontal" lines don't exist except you have a connection. Connection is an assignment of the "horizontal" directions to each point. In this special case, you have at least two different "natural" choices. One is that you regard a curve in the hairdo horizontal if it is in a horizontal plane of our 3-dimensional space, while the other possibility that you regard a curve in the hairdo horizontal, if it meets every hair at the same length. A connection defines the so-called "horizontal lift" as follows. If you draw a curve on the base space (i.e, on the skin of the head), and choose a point in the bundle above this curve (i.e, in the hairdo on a hair growing out from a point of the given curve), then you can define the horizontal lift of this curve to the point chosen. This is a curve that passes through the point, its direction is horizontal everywhere and its projection to the base space is the given curve.

In the case of a tangent bundle, the manifold M plays the role of the skin of the head (base space) and the tangent spaces TpM plays the role of the hairs (fibers). The projection projects every tangent vector in TpM to the point p of M. This is the vertical projection. But horizontal projection doesn't exist except you have a connection. A connection defines the horizontal lift of a curve say c(t) on M to the tangent bundle say v(t). Of course, v(t) is in Tc(t)M for every t. In the case of the tangent bundle we say that v(t) is "parallel" to v(0). So, instead of saying that "v(t) is the point above the point c(t) on the horizontal lift of c to v(0)" we say that "v(t) is the parallel transport of the vector v(0) along c from c(0) to c(t)". Now, the covariant derivative of the vector field Y in the direction X is

[tex]
\nabla_X(Y)=\lim_{h \rightarrow 0}\frac{1}{h}\left[\tau^h(Y(c(h)) - Y(c(0))\right]
[/tex]

where c is a curve in M having [tex]\dot c(0) = X[/tex] and [tex]\tau^h(Y(c(h))[/tex] is the parallel transport of Y(c(h)) to c(0) along c. Of course this derivative depends on the parallel transporting function, i.e. on the connection.

Last edited:

1. What is a covariant derivative with respect to connection?

A covariant derivative with respect to connection is a mathematical operation that allows us to differentiate vector fields on a curved manifold. It takes into account the curvature of the manifold and how it affects the change of vector fields along different directions.

2. What is the difference between a covariant derivative and a regular derivative?

A regular derivative measures the rate of change of a function in one direction, while a covariant derivative measures the rate of change of a vector field along a specific direction on a curved manifold. A covariant derivative also takes into account the curvature of the manifold, while a regular derivative assumes a flat Euclidean space.

3. How is a covariant derivative calculated?

A covariant derivative is calculated by taking the partial derivative of a vector field along a specific direction and then adding a correction term that accounts for the curvature of the manifold. This correction term is determined by the connection, which describes how the tangent spaces of the manifold are connected to each other.

4. What is the significance of the covariant derivative in differential geometry?

The covariant derivative is a fundamental tool in differential geometry as it allows us to define and study geometric objects on curved manifolds. It is used to define concepts such as curvature, geodesics, and parallel transport, which are essential in understanding the geometry of curved spaces.

5. How is the covariant derivative related to parallel transport?

The covariant derivative is closely related to parallel transport, which is the process of moving a vector along a curve while keeping it "parallel" to itself. The covariant derivative is used to measure the change of a vector along a curve and is essential in determining whether a curve is a geodesic or not.