Covariant Green's function for wave equation

In summary, Jackson finds the covariant form of the Green's function for the wave equation, D(z), to be -1/(2\pi)^4 times an integral over d^4k. He then performs the integral over k0 by considering it as a complex variable and obtains the resulting integral for z0>0 to be -2pi/k sin(kappa z0). The final Green's function, D_r(z), includes the Heaviside step function, \theta(z0), which accounts for the behavior of the integral for z0<0. There is a small error in the conversation regarding the behavior of e^{-ik0z0} in the upper half-plane, as it actually increases without limit for z0
jason12345
This comes from Jackson's Classical Electrodynamics 3rd edition, page 613. He finds the Green's function for the covariant form of the wave equation as:

[tex]D(z) = -1/(2\pi)^{4}\int d^{4}k\: \frac{e^{-ik\cdot z}}{k\cdot k}[/tex]

Where z = x - x' the 4 vector difference, [tex] k\cdot z = k_0z_0 - \mathbf{k \cdot z}[/tex]

He then performs the integral over k0 first by considering it as a complex variable to give:

[tex]D(z) = -1/(2\pi)^{4}\int d^{3}k e^{i\mathbf{k\cdot z}}\int_{-\infty }^{\infty } dk_0\: \frac{e^{-ik_0z_0}}{k^2_0 - \kappa^2}[/tex]

where [tex] \kappa = |\mathbf{k}|[/tex]

But then he says for [tex]z_0>0, e^{-ik_0z_0}[/tex] increases without limit in the upper half plane.

Is this correct? There's a minus in the exponential so i would have thought it's the exact opposite.

He considers a contour r in the upper half of the k0 plane from +oo to -oo, closed by a semicircle also in the upper half of k0 and says that for z0 < 0, the resulting integral vanishes, whereas for z0 > 0, the integral over k0 is:

[tex]\oint_{r} dk_0\: \frac{e^{-ik_0z_0}}{k^2_0 - \kappa^2} = -2\pi i\: Res \left (\frac{e^{-ik_0z_0}}{k^2_0 - \kappa^2} \right) = \frac{-2\pi}{\kappa} sin(\kappa z_0)[/tex]

The Green function is then:

[tex]D_r(z) = \frac{\theta(z_0)}{(2\pi)^3} \int d^3k \: e^{i\mathbf{k \cdot z}}\ \frac{sin(\kappa z_0)}{\kappa}[/tex]

Where does the [tex]\theta(z_0)[/tex] come from?

Thanks in advance for your interest.

Physics news on Phys.org
jason12345 said:
The Green function is then:

[tex]D_r(z) = \frac{\theta(z_0)}{(2\pi)^3} \int d^3k \: e^{i\mathbf{k \cdot z}}\ \frac{sin(\kappa z_0)}{\kappa}[/tex]

Where does the [tex]\theta(z_0)[/tex] come from?

Thats the Heaviside step function, which is zero for [itex]z_0 <0[/itex] and unity for [itex]z_0 > 0[/itex]. The integral is zero for [itex]z_0 <0[/itex] as you pointed out yourself, so this is just a convenient way of writing it.

jason12345 said:
But then he says for [tex]z_0>0, e^{-ik_0z_0}[/tex] increases without limit in the upper half plane.

Is this correct? There's a minus in the exponential so i would have thought it's the exact opposite.

Take [itex]z_0 = a + ib[/itex] with [itex]a[/itex] and [itex]b[/itex] real, and [itex]b > 0[/itex] (upper half-plane). Then

[tex]e^{-i k_0 z_0} =e^{-i a k_0} e^{b k_0},[/tex]

which blows up as [itex]b[/itex] becomes large.

George Jones said:
Take [itex]z_0 = a + ib[/itex] with [itex]a[/itex] and [itex]b[/itex] real, and [itex]b > 0[/itex] (upper half-plane). Then

[tex]e^{-i k_0 z_0} =e^{-i a k_0} e^{b k_0},[/tex]

which blows up as [itex]b[/itex] becomes large.

Oops, I wrote this without reading. Often, [itex]z[/itex] denotes a complex intregration variable, and I made the mistake of taking this to be so here. What I wrote above should, however, make clear what happens for complex [itex]k[/itex] and [itex]z_0[/itex] a positive real.

What is the definition of Covariant Green's function for wave equation?

The Covariant Green's function for wave equation is a mathematical tool used in the field of physics to describe the propagation of waves through a given medium. It is a solution to the wave equation that takes into account the effects of both space and time, allowing for a more accurate representation of wave behavior.

How is the Covariant Green's function for wave equation derived?

The Covariant Green's function for wave equation is typically derived using the method of separation of variables, where the wave equation is separated into two equations in terms of space and time, respectively. These equations are then solved separately and combined to form the complete solution for the Covariant Green's function.

What are the key properties of the Covariant Green's function for wave equation?

Some important properties of the Covariant Green's function for wave equation include its symmetry, which allows for the interchange of space and time variables, and its causality, which ensures that the solution only depends on past events. It also satisfies the wave equation and has a singularity at the source point, representing the initial disturbance.

What is the significance of using Covariant Green's function in wave equation problems?

The use of Covariant Green's function allows for a more general and accurate solution to wave equation problems, as it takes into account the effects of both space and time. This is especially important in complex systems where the wave behavior is influenced by various factors and cannot be described by a simple solution.

How is the Covariant Green's function for wave equation applied in practical situations?

The Covariant Green's function for wave equation has numerous applications in physics and engineering, such as in the study of electromagnetic waves, acoustic waves, and seismic waves. It is also used in the design of efficient and stable algorithms for solving wave equation problems in computer simulations and modeling.