Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Covariant Green's function for wave equation

1. Aug 25, 2009 #1
    This comes from Jackson's Classical Electrodynamics 3rd edition, page 613. He finds the Green's function for the covariant form of the wave equation as:

[tex]D(z) = -1/(2\pi)^{4}\int d^{4}k\: \frac{e^{-ik\cdot z}}{k\cdot k}[/tex]

Where z = x - x' the 4 vector difference, [tex] k\cdot z = k_0z_0 - \mathbf{k \cdot z}[/tex]

He then performs the integral over k0 first by considering it as a complex variable to give:

[tex]D(z) = -1/(2\pi)^{4}\int d^{3}k e^{i\mathbf{k\cdot z}}\int_{-\infty }^{\infty } dk_0\: \frac{e^{-ik_0z_0}}{k^2_0 - \kappa^2}[/tex]

where [tex] \kappa = |\mathbf{k}|[/tex]

But then he says for [tex]z_0>0, e^{-ik_0z_0}[/tex] increases without limit in the upper half plane.

Is this correct? There's a minus in the exponential so i would have thought it's the exact opposite.

He considers a contour r in the upper half of the k0 plane from +oo to -oo, closed by a semicircle also in the upper half of k0 and says that for z0 < 0, the resulting integral vanishes, whereas for z0 > 0, the integral over k0 is:

[tex]\oint_{r} dk_0\: \frac{e^{-ik_0z_0}}{k^2_0 - \kappa^2} = -2\pi i\: Res \left (\frac{e^{-ik_0z_0}}{k^2_0 - \kappa^2} \right) = \frac{-2\pi}{\kappa} sin(\kappa z_0)[/tex]

The Green function is then:

[tex]D_r(z) = \frac{\theta(z_0)}{(2\pi)^3} \int d^3k \: e^{i\mathbf{k \cdot z}}\ \frac{sin(\kappa z_0)}{\kappa}[/tex]

Where does the [tex]\theta(z_0)[/tex] come from?

Thanks in advance for your interest.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 25, 2009 #2
    Thats the Heaviside step function, which is zero for [itex]z_0 <0[/itex] and unity for [itex]z_0 > 0[/itex]. The integral is zero for [itex]z_0 <0[/itex] as you pointed out yourself, so this is just a convenient way of writing it.

4. Aug 25, 2009 #3

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Take [itex]z_0 = a + ib[/itex] with [itex]a[/itex] and [itex]b[/itex] real, and [itex]b > 0[/itex] (upper half-plane). Then

[tex]e^{-i k_0 z_0} =e^{-i a k_0} e^{b k_0},[/tex]

which blows up as [itex]b[/itex] becomes large.

5. Aug 25, 2009 #4

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Oops, I wrote this without reading. Often, [itex]z[/itex] denotes a complex intregration variable, and I made the mistake of taking this to be so here. What I wrote above should, however, make clear what happens for complex [itex]k[/itex] and [itex]z_0[/itex] a positive real.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook