Coverting an indicator between e-signal and sierra charts?

• Thread starter bonfire09
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Charts
In summary, the indicator can be converted to work on Sierra charts, but it will require some programming knowledge and a 3rd party DLL with documentation.
bonfire09
One of my family member's trades the markets and wants to see that the indicator she has written in JavaScript for esignal can be converted to run on sierra charts?can this be done?

Technology news on Phys.org
Hey bonfire09.

I am unfamiliar with sierra charts, but from a programmer perspective what are the details of the sierra platform?

What run-time environment? (Web-based: Java-script or something java related, ASP, and so on or Non-Web based like Windows executables in COM, .NET, straight Win-32, MFC?)

Finally what's the API? Does it even have an API? If not can you use a scripting language?

If you answer the above, you'll end up finding the answer.

i think sierra charts is written in high lvl c++ language.

Can you get access to a 3rd party SDK with documentation for the API?

I took a quick look and it seems that a standard DLL is the interface that deals with exporting a specific structure (SCStudyGraphRef) from a list of functions.

What you will have to do is basically fill this structure with the right information and Sierra Charts will take it from there.

Look at the data definition of the structure and the helper methods used to populate the structure with the correct information and then look at all the functions you have to supply to Sierra Charts (i.e. all the declared functions in your DLL) and then write them.

I don't know what the structures are and how they are used, but essentially the way to start is to get all structures and sub-structures related to this SCStudyGraphRef and look at how Sierra Charts stores data vs how your other original one (e-signal) stores data.

If the documentation is weak, search all the header files directly to get the definitions: they have to exist other-wise you wouldn't be able to compile the custom DLL or use it to do what you need to do.

1. What is the difference between e-signal and sierra charts?

E-signal and sierra charts are both popular charting and trading platforms used by traders and investors. The main difference between the two is that e-signal is a standalone platform, while sierra charts is a customizable platform that can be integrated with other trading platforms and services. Additionally, e-signal offers more advanced features and tools, while sierra charts is known for its simplicity and user-friendly interface.

2. Can indicators be converted between e-signal and sierra charts?

Yes, indicators can be converted between e-signal and sierra charts. Both platforms support a wide range of technical indicators and allow for custom indicator development. However, the syntax and coding language may differ, so some adjustments may be needed when converting an indicator from one platform to the other.

3. How do I convert an indicator from e-signal to sierra charts?

Converting an indicator from e-signal to sierra charts involves exporting the indicator code from e-signal and then importing it into sierra charts. Some minor adjustments may be needed to ensure the indicator functions properly in the new platform. It is recommended to consult the platform's user guide or seek assistance from a technical support team for specific instructions.

4. Are there any limitations when converting indicators between e-signal and sierra charts?

While most technical indicators can be converted between the two platforms, there may be some limitations. This is because e-signal and sierra charts use different coding languages and have different features and capabilities. It is important to thoroughly test the converted indicator to ensure it functions as intended.

5. Can I use the same indicators on both e-signal and sierra charts?

Yes, you can use the same indicators on both e-signal and sierra charts. As long as the indicator is properly converted and functioning correctly on both platforms, it can be used interchangeably. However, it is always recommended to regularly check and test the indicators to ensure they are working properly on both platforms.