My CPU Temperature is High at 91°C - Please Help!

• Thread starter Oxygenne
  • Start date
  • Tags
    cpu
In summary, the CPU temperature is high at 91°C or more after 5 minutes of working. The limits of threshold is 90°C and highest temperature is shown to be 100°C. I do not know what to do because I have to work. Please advice how to proceed!
Oxygenne
My CPU temperature is high at 91°C or more after 5 minutes of working.

The limits of threshold is 90°C and highest temperature is shown to be 100°C.

I do not know what to do because I have to work.

Please advice how to proceed!

Thank you!

Computer science news on Phys.org
Well firstly stop using that computer because at those temperatures you will wear out the motherboard or cpu really fast.
In order to help you though we will need more information about your system. What cpu do you have and what model motherboard. Also list any other components in the case.

I have Asus laptop

Hmm, well I am not really sure how you could change the temperature on a laptop. Are you using it on a soft material i.e. covering the exhaust vents like if it is being used on a bed?

I do not use on the bed.
i am using on the table and I pay attention to have good ventilation

but also in my house is very hot , the chocolate for example is liquid in the kitchen.
And in the room I have 2 fans and one of them is on the desk.

I hope today will acceptable temperature outside because the forecast said will rain.

You should probably call their tech support because it sounds like something might not be working properly. Do you know if all the internal fans are running?

since I am living in this city i do not know where to fin a service.
previous it was near my house from where i bought the laptop.

Oxygenne said:
since I am living in this city i do not know where to fin a service.
previous it was near my house from where i bought the laptop.
This may sound pretty obvious, but since you have Internet access, Google on "Asus" and when you find their website, contact their tech support. If they can't puzzle it out, they may be able to point you to an authorized service center.

Most integrated circuits are guaranteed to operate up to about 110C. 100C for routine operation is definitely a little high, but 90C is not a reason to panic.

Figure out how many fans your laptop has (probably two), and make sure they're both running when appropriate. You may wish to edit your BIOS settings, if possible, to change the setpoints for when the fans will turn on.

- Warren

I think the fan does not work properly.
I was using the dust remover under pressure and I am full of black dust and the temperature was decreasing with 10°C.

I hope to find a service where to replace the dirty fan.

I am shame to say but I do not know how to go in BIOS and to work there :cry:

Those fans have very low torque, typically, and if you use your laptop in a dusty environment, you might have gotten enough clumps of dust in the fan to slow or stall it. If the fan motor isn't toasted, you may be able to get it cooling properly with a simple blow-out/cleaning. If not, and you find that you have to use the laptop, it might be a good idea to by a USB external HD or flash memory and back up your critical stuff.

Something could be wrong with your battery. I know a friend whose HP laptop used to heat up because of battery problems. That could be another reason for it heating up.

Another reason (though perhaps less likely) is that some worm, spyware, or virus is eating up processor capacity. Hit CTRL/ALT/DEL to open the Windows task manager and click on the performance tab. If you've got high CPU usage without an obvious program causing the load, it might be time to run an antivirus program.

Manufacturer may have some diagnostic utilities either already installed in your PC or then downloadable images at their website (which you can burn to a CD for one and then boot up your computer from that disk) you could use to run diagnostics on your fans. I wonder how constant the function key for launching bios setup is? Mine is hitting F2 immediately at boot and end up in BIOS, F8 giving boot options I think and so on (some function key in any case I'd say ... ASUS website likely has more info).

Oxygenne said:
but also in my house is very hot , the chocolate for example is liquid in the kitchen.
And in the room I have 2 fans and one of them is on the desk.

I hope today will acceptable temperature outside because the forecast said will rain.

It is most likely running hot because the ambient temp in your house is too hot. Most stock air cooling devices (epically those in a small area of a laptop) are only designed to operate in a maxi mun of 26 C (80 F) environment. I bet when it cools down in your house the operating temps will go back down.

You may want to look into investing in a laptop cooling pad. Going off of what Argentum Vulpes stated, that may not help out that much though. I have a slap-together desktop pc at my workshop and during the hot summers the cpu half-load temp would easily climb up to the mid to high 90's. Adding extra fans didn't do much to help other than move around more hot air. Water cooling on another system that i built, at those ambient temps, was also useless. The water was become heat soaked and the radiator that i was using wasn't able to rid of that much heat due to only the slight difference in ambient vs. water temp.

Sounds like you need an air conditioner!

1. Why is my CPU temperature so high?

There could be several reasons for a high CPU temperature. It could be due to a heavy workload, dust build-up, inadequate cooling, or a malfunctioning cooling system.

2. Is a CPU temperature of 91°C dangerous?

Yes, a CPU temperature of 91°C is considered to be dangerous as it is close to the maximum operating temperature of most CPUs. Continued operation at this temperature can lead to damage and decrease the lifespan of your CPU.

3. How can I lower my CPU temperature?

There are a few ways to lower your CPU temperature. You can make sure your computer is in a well-ventilated area, clean any dust build-up from your computer's fans and vents, check for any software or hardware issues, or invest in a better cooling system.

4. Will a high CPU temperature affect my computer's performance?

Yes, a high CPU temperature can affect your computer's performance. When a CPU is operating at a high temperature, it can cause it to slow down or even shut down to prevent damage.

5. Do I need to replace my CPU if the temperature is consistently high?

It depends on the cause of the high temperature. If it is due to inadequate cooling or dust build-up, then simply cleaning or upgrading your cooling system should solve the issue. However, if the high temperature persists even after taking these steps, it may be necessary to replace your CPU.