1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Crane Problem, Finding Angular Velocity

1. Jul 21, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

At the instant shown in the figure , the crane's boom has an angle = 33.0 and rotates around the vertical axis with angular velocity = 8.00×10^−2 radians/s that increases at the rate = 7.00×10^−2 radians/s^2. At the same instant, the crane's boom is rotating upward with angular velocity = 3.00×10^−2 that increases at the rate = 5.00×10^−2 . Determine wx, wy, and wz, the i, j, and k components of w, the boom's angular velocity in the fixed reference frame X, Y, Z. The translating-rotating reference frame, x, y, z, lines up with the fixed reference frame at the instant shown.

> The figure shows a crane with the z-axis vertical and the y-axis along the cranes boom. The angular velocity are all rotating counterclockwise. The origin is at the center of the crane.

2. Relevant equations

vp = wp X rp

vp is the velocity at a point
    w is the angular velocity
    rp is the position of the vector at a point

3. The attempt at a solution

w = w1 * w2 = (.03i + .08k)rad/s
    [tex]\Omega[/tex] = .08k rad/s
    w = [tex]w_{12}[/tex] + [tex]\Omega[/tex] X w = (.05i + .07k) + .08k X (.03i + .08k)

=0.05i + 0.0024j + 0.07k

That was my final answer but it is wrong.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 22, 2010 #2
    How are you taking the acceleration of the crane into account?

4. Jul 22, 2010 #3
    I'm taking into account the acceleration in my equation but the answer is still not correct:

w = + [tex]\Omega[/tex] X w = (.05i + .07k) + .08k X (.03i + .08k)

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook