Crane Problem, Finding Angular Velocity

In summary: X .08i + .08k X .08j)In summary, the crane's boom has an angle of 33.0 degrees and is rotating counterclockwise around the vertical axis with an angular velocity of 8.00×10^−2 radians/s that is increasing at a rate of 7.00×10^−2 radians/s^2. At the same instant, it is also rotating upward with an angular velocity of 3.00×10^−2 radians/s that is increasing at a rate of 5.00×10^−2 radians/s^2. To determine the i, j, and k components of w, the boom's angular velocity in the fixed reference
jiffy

Homework Statement

At the instant shown in the figure , the crane's boom has an angle = 33.0 and rotates around the vertical axis with angular velocity = 8.00×10^−2 radians/s that increases at the rate = 7.00×10^−2 radians/s^2. At the same instant, the crane's boom is rotating upward with angular velocity = 3.00×10^−2 that increases at the rate = 5.00×10^−2 . Determine wx, wy, and wz, the i, j, and k components of w, the boom's angular velocity in the fixed reference frame X, Y, Z. The translating-rotating reference frame, x, y, z, lines up with the fixed reference frame at the instant shown.

> The figure shows a crane with the z-axis vertical and the y-axis along the cranes boom. The angular velocity are all rotating counterclockwise. The origin is at the center of the crane.

Homework Equations

vp = wp X rp

vp is the velocity at a point
w is the angular velocity
rp is the position of the vector at a point

The Attempt at a Solution

w = w1 * w2 = (.03i + .08k)rad/s
[tex]\Omega[/tex] = .08k rad/s
w = [tex]w_{12}[/tex] + [tex]\Omega[/tex] X w = (.05i + .07k) + .08k X (.03i + .08k)

=0.05i + 0.0024j + 0.07k

That was my final answer but it is wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
How are you taking the acceleration of the crane into account?

I'm taking into account the acceleration in my equation but the answer is still not correct:

w = + [tex]\Omega[/tex] X w = (.05i + .07k) + .08k X (.03i + .08k)

1. What is the crane problem and how does it relate to finding angular velocity?

The crane problem is a physics problem that involves determining the angular velocity of a crane's arm as it moves. This problem is often used to illustrate the relationship between linear and angular velocity, as well as to demonstrate the concept of centripetal force.

2. How is angular velocity calculated in the crane problem?

Angular velocity is calculated by dividing the angular displacement (change in angle) by the time it takes for that displacement to occur. This is represented by the formula ω = Δθ/Δt, where ω is angular velocity, Δθ is angular displacement, and Δt is time.

3. What factors affect the angular velocity in the crane problem?

The angular velocity in the crane problem is affected by the length of the crane's arm, the speed of the crane's movement, and the centripetal force acting on the arm. These factors determine the magnitude and direction of the angular velocity.

4. How does the crane problem demonstrate the concept of centripetal force?

The crane problem shows how a force (such as the tension in the crane's cable) can act as a centripetal force, causing an object to move in a circular path. In this problem, the centripetal force is directed towards the center of the circle and is necessary to keep the crane's arm moving at a constant angular velocity.

5. What real-world applications use the principles of the crane problem and finding angular velocity?

The principles of the crane problem and finding angular velocity are used in various real-world applications, such as designing roller coasters, analyzing the movement of satellites, and understanding the motion of spinning objects (such as tops and gyroscopes). These principles are also important in fields such as engineering, robotics, and astronomy.