Crashed Android on ZTE Phone -- How to read Log files

• Thread starter WWGD
  • Start date

WWGD

Science Advisor
Gold Member
Hi,
My Android ZTE phone is not loading the OS, not completing POST andgiving me an Android Recovery error message . How can I read/use log files to recover phone? Here is the error message, and the files listed in it, which I can access using on/volume keys (On key selects, Volume allows me to scroll up/down):

It is giving me access to some recovery files:
/cache/recovery/last_log
/cache/recovery/last_kmsg
/cache/recovery/last_log.1
/cache/recovery/last_kmsg.1
/cache/recovery/last_log.2
/cache/recovery/last_kmsg.2

There is also a message about phone being stuck in recovery mode.

( I would include a pic file here....but I cannot access regular phone functions)
I attach portions of the first file: /cache/recovery/last_log .
I appreciate any suggestion for how to use any of above files to restart phone.

Attachments

First I’d say it’s time to get a new phone.

Next what did you do that caused this situation? Did you install a new app? Did you get some malware? Did you drop the phone? Just trying to find out what may have caused it.

For this brand of phone, have you checked online if others have gotten the same problem?

Lastly, perhaps it would be better to bring it to a service center and get the screen fixed too.

You might want to connect it to a computer and see if you can retrieve your key files before turning it over to service.

WWGD

Science Advisor
Gold Member
First I’d say it’s time to get a new phone.

Next what did you do that caused this situation? Did you install a new app? Did you get some malware? Did you drop the phone? Just trying to find out what may have caused it.

For this brand of phone, have you checked online if others have gotten the same problem?

Lastly, perhaps it would be better to bring it to a service center and get the screen fixed too.

You might want to connect it to a computer and see if you can retrieve your key files before turning it over to service.
I posted it a few days back and I got nothing . I guess Android source and CLI seem to be a bit far out for most. I will check again tomorrow.

I’ve accessed developer mode on an android tablet but haven’t experienced the failure you have. I used the ADK and processing to create a simple app for the Nexus 7. The funny part I remember was tapping on The build number? 7 times to activate developer mod. On the Nexus 10 you had to tap 10 times. I guess google developers were having some fun with these magic incantations.

WWGD

Science Advisor
Gold Member
I’ve accessed developer mode on an android tablet but haven’t experienced the failure you have. I used the ADK and processing to create a simple app for the Nexus 7. The funny part I remember was tapping on The build number? 7 times to activate developer mod. On the Nexus 10 you had to tap 10 times. I guess google developers were having some fun with these magic incantations.
Thanks man, you have been overall great tech support. I keep learning from my crashed thanks to your comments/advice :).

WWGD

Science Advisor
Gold Member
Do you think I may be able to load the OS from another phone, using a USB? I have the impression that my phone cannot load up Android, but I think it only looks in the hard drive. Maybe if I connect it to another phone, or to a PC where I have a copy of it, my phone may be able to load Android from them?

No, I don't think you can do that unless both phones come from the same vendor and have the same hardware features.

However, I found this app discussed on youtube but it looks like both phones need to be operational:

It could be your linux bootloader is somehow messed up.

I found this guide too that seems to address your boot issue:

http://www.smartmobilephonesolutions.com/content/android-stuck-startup-boot-loop

WWGD

Science Advisor
Gold Member
You really need to tell me how to do this trick -- the one you have done 3 times already:
I post my issue here, get some replies and then the problem is magically fixed: phone is working
fine, rebooted without any issue, only thing is that date was wrong ( I fixed it in 3 sec.)
Anyway, thanks, (Tech) witch doc.

You really need to tell me how to do this trick -- the one you have done 3 times already:
I post my issue here, get some replies and then the problem is magically fixed: phone is working
fine, rebooted without any issue, only thing is that date was wrong ( I fixed it in 3 sec.)
Anyway, thanks, (Tech) witch doc.
Uh, it has to do with time travel and wormholes but I digress.