1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Crazy multiple choice question

1. Mar 21, 2015 #1
    Hi everyone,
    a friend once emailed me a crazy multiple choice question. I thought about it for a while but then gave up.
    I can't find it anymore, but I remember it was something like:

What is the probability of answering this question correctly?
    1) 100%
    2) 50%
    3) 33%

Does anybody know what the actual question may have been (as I guess it's pretty well known in mathematical circles) and especially, what the answer is?
    Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 21, 2015 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

That is, simply, non-sense! Obviously, your chance of answering any question correctly depends upon what the questioner will accept as the correct answer! I suspect that what is intended is to assume that any one of the three answers is equally likely to be accepted as the correct answer, therefore, by choosing "at random", you have a 33% (actually 33.333... % of 1/3) chance of being right. But, then that answer has only 1/3 probability of being right!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook