Crazy Optics Phenomenon (NEED HELP )

In summary, the conversation is about understanding the bending of light rays when they pass through glass, specifically a car's windshield. The concept of refraction and Snell's law are mentioned and one theory suggests that the light rays are at the critical angle of the glass, causing a curved appearance. The use of laminated safety glass in windshields is also mentioned as a possible explanation for this phenomenon.
bgodea
I really need to figure this out.

I was driving down a straight road with the sun to my right at an 85* angle. You would expect the light rays to appear straight because light cannot bend, but the the rays appear to bend across the glass. Can anyone help me explain this...? I know it has something to do with refraction, but I'm exactly sure.

Any help would be greatly Appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Light indeed changes direction when it meets an interface between two areas of different optical density. This is mathematically defined by Snell's law.

I know there is refraction by snells law and what I see through the window would not be exactly the path of the original light, but what explains the appearance of the light bending?

What do you mean by 'bending'?

I can visibely see the rays from the sun hitting the cars windshield and the visible rays from the sun to my windshield have a definite curvature.

In which direction are they curving?

check out the pic

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 466
well the curves are concave with respect to the bottom right of the windsheild

I've heard of light bending due to very massive objects, but not in glass. But that's just me. I'm sure someone has an answer. Do you have any theories by the way?

i can't explain it right now. I know the glass has a slight curvature itself and that the glass is polarized, so that might have something to do with the effect.

Probably the best theory i have is that the light rays are right at the critical angle of the glass so that there is almost total internal reflection in the glass but not quite. The light goes into total internal reflection and then comes out at different points as a function with the curvature that I see.

Does anybody think this is possible?

The picture is still pending approval as an attachment, but my guess is that it's just distortion from the curved glass. How long does it take for attachments to get approved typically?

anybody know?

Yes, I have seen this in my own car. The edges of the windshield refract differently than the rest. Any object you view through it (nevermind sun rays, just look at strsight lines on the road) will look curved.

It's probbly due to the type of glass in the windshield. Nowadays, windshields are made (and I'm not sure of the exact term) with some sort of embedded material which prevents the glass from shattering upon impact. Even though it appears clear.

Edit:

http://computer.howstuffworks.com/question508.htm

Automakers began using laminated safety glass, also known as auto glass, for automobile windshields in 1927. To make laminated safety glass, the manufacturer sandwiches a thin layer of flexible clear plastic film called polyvinyl butyral (PVB) between two or more pieces of glass. The plastic film holds the glass in place when the glass breaks, helping to lessen injuries from flying glass. The film also can stretch, yet the glass still sticks to it. It is also quite difficult to penetrate laminated safety glass, compared to normal window pane glass. The "sandwich with some give" that laminated safety glass is made of also helps hold the occupants in a vehicle! Banks use a multiple-layer laminated glass to help stop bullets.
Laminated safety glass has two other additional benefits:

It reduces transmission of high frequency sound.
It blocks 97 percent of ultraviolet radiation.

Last edited:

What is the Crazy Optics Phenomenon?

The Crazy Optics Phenomenon is a term used to describe various optical illusions or visual phenomena that appear to defy the laws of physics. These can include mirages, strange light patterns, or objects that appear to be moving or changing shape.

What causes the Crazy Optics Phenomenon?

The Crazy Optics Phenomenon is caused by the way light is refracted or reflected in our atmosphere. Different temperatures, air pressures, and moisture levels can create distortions in the way we see objects, leading to these strange visual effects.

Can the Crazy Optics Phenomenon be predicted?

While there are general patterns and conditions that can increase the likelihood of experiencing the Crazy Optics Phenomenon, it is ultimately unpredictable. It depends on a combination of factors such as time of day, weather conditions, and the observer's location and perspective.

Is the Crazy Optics Phenomenon harmful to the eyes?

No, the Crazy Optics Phenomenon is not harmful to the eyes. It is simply a trick of the light and does not cause any physical harm or damage to the eyes or vision.

Can the Crazy Optics Phenomenon be recreated in a laboratory setting?

Yes, some aspects of the Crazy Optics Phenomenon can be recreated in a controlled laboratory setting. However, due to the unpredictable nature of atmospheric conditions, it is difficult to replicate the exact same effects that occur in nature.