Create a bootable USB for Windows?

• Thread starter member 428835
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Usb Windows
In summary, the conversation revolved around the best way to prepare a USB bootable drive to use for installing Windows 10 Education on a separate HDD while also having Linux installed on a primary SSD. Suggestions included installing Windows first and adjusting the boot order, virtualizing the Linux install, and using software such as Refus or UNetbootin. Ultimately, it was recommended to unplug the SSD during Windows installation to avoid potential conflicts.
member 428835
Hi PF!

I am currently on an Intel-based mac. I have an AMD desktop currently running linux on one SSD, but this desktop also has an HDD, which I'd like to boot with Windows 10 Education (since it's free for my school).

How can I prepare a USB bootable drive so that I can use the HDD for Windows? I found a link that suggested using "Boot Camp Assistant" on mac, but its description says it helps install Windows for Intel-based devices.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Computer science news on Phys.org
rbelli1 said:
The easiest way seems to be to install windows first.
I'm installing Windows on its own HDD, so wouldn't it be it's first drive?

You can move the Linux disk to the second (or later) port and put the Windows one on the first port. This is optional. You will have to repair the Linux boot-loader in either case.

Windows will put its boot-loader on the boot drive and install itself wherever you tell it to. I have seen the resulting system consider the boot drive "c:" and the windows install drive something else. I had this happen to me about 20 years ago on a Windows 2000 system so the details are a bit fuzzy. The system worked normally even though c: was empty except for the swapfile.

This may be different in newer Windows versions. I haven't had need to install on anything other than the first drive since then. The fact that windows will not be able to interpret the file system on the Linux drive will make things even weirder. Windows should be able to sort itself out regardless.

Then you need to follow the link in the pcworld article to repair your bootloader. Make sure to build the appropriate repair CD/USB stick before installing Windows.

BoB

Or you could just change the boot order of your disks and just pop into the Bios Boot menu and choose the alternate drive whenever you want to boot into the alternate OS.

Installing Windows 10 onto a USB will be very slow due to it's size, if you want to go down this route you are better off installing Linux onto the USB drive.

That's virtualising the Linux install. There are numerous virtualisation programs out there that will let you emulate another OS inside Windows.

MikeeMiracle said:
Or you could just change the boot order of your disks and just pop into the Bios Boot menu and choose the alternate drive whenever you want to boot into the alternate OS.
Yes, this is exactly what I want to do.

MikeeMiracle said:
Installing Windows 10 onto a USB will be very slow due to it's size, if you want to go down this route you are better off installing Linux onto the USB drive.
Yea, I had Linux on the USB, but I have a lot of programs on Linux now and I can't risk uninstalling Linux and wiping it. Is there any risk losing my Linux build if I boot Windows from a USB onto a completely separate hard drive?

Can't you just unplug the linux drive during the install and then adjust the boot order (in bios) to find the appropriate drive first when you plug it back?

Likes sysprog and member 428835
Windows Install looks on ALL connected drives during installation. At least earlier versions were very possesive and would, under some conditions, disable/wipe-out other OS's and/or other versions of windows. It absolutely takes over the boot sector on the disk, that's why the universal recommendation to install Windows first when you want an additional OS.

Be safe. Unless doing a Windows 'Upgrade' install, unplug other drives.

Cheers,
Tom

Likes member 428835, hutchphd and sysprog
Thanks for the help everyone! I successfully installed windows and unplugged the SSD while doing so! Thanks for the tip!

Likes Tom.G, hutchphd and sysprog
As far as i know,a software called Refus is able to make a bootable USB for Windows.but you are working on Mac,i don't know if it work for Mac.

samy65 said:
As far as i know,a software called Refus is able to make a bootable USB for Windows.but you are working on Mac,i don't know if it work for Mac.
Rufus doesn't support Mac,next this tool i will talk about can make a bootable USB on Mac,this is a recommendation from an experienced friend.

Likes sysprog
samy65 said:
Rufus doesn't support Mac,next this tool i will talk about can make a bootable USB on Mac,this is a recommendation from an experienced friend.
I didn't see that @joshmccraney said anything about a Mac, but either way, the UUByte product that your link leads to is a good product, but only a trial version is available free ##-## UNetbootin (from https://habitlab.stanford.edu/) will do the job and is available for free download in Windows and Mac versions here: https://unetbootin.github.io/

1. What is a bootable USB for Windows?

A bootable USB for Windows is a USB drive that contains all the necessary files and software to install or run the Windows operating system on a computer. It allows users to easily install or repair their Windows operating system without the need for a CD or DVD.

2. How do I create a bootable USB for Windows?

To create a bootable USB for Windows, you will need a USB drive with at least 8GB of storage space and a Windows installation ISO file. You can use a free tool like Rufus or Windows USB/DVD Download Tool to format the USB drive and copy the ISO file onto it, making it bootable.

3. Can I use any USB drive to create a bootable USB for Windows?

No, not all USB drives are suitable for creating a bootable USB for Windows. It is recommended to use a USB 3.0 drive with at least 8GB of storage space and a high read/write speed for optimal performance.

4. Can I create a bootable USB for Windows on a Mac or Linux computer?

Yes, it is possible to create a bootable USB for Windows on a Mac or Linux computer. You can use tools like UNetbootin or Etcher to create a bootable USB using a Windows ISO file. However, you may need to use a Windows computer to download the ISO file.

5. Can I use a bootable USB for Windows to install Windows on multiple computers?

Yes, a bootable USB for Windows can be used to install Windows on multiple computers. However, you will need a separate Windows license for each computer. Additionally, the installation process may vary depending on the computer's hardware and settings.