Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Installing Windows 7 from bootable USB

1. Aug 24, 2016 #1
    i just bought Acer Aspire E15 and it has no system preinstalled. I have an USB containing Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit and i made it bootable by YUMI software. The problem is that when i power on the computer i get a windows with two options, Linpus Linux Create a bootable USB drive When i plug the usb it imediatly starts the linpus linux and gets to root@localhost and just stays there. If i choose the other one it says import the USB bla bla it will delete your files, you have to say yes and it just drops lines that are identical to forever...What is wrong?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 25, 2016 #2

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Rephrase this, please.

4. Aug 28, 2016 #3
    looks like what you did was create a bootable linux USB instead of Windows.

Here's what i suggest you do. First, get the ISO for Windows 7 (or make an ISO using your Win7 DVD - How to make an ISO). Microsoft killed the Digital Rivers servers but you can still get the ISOs from Torrents. I won't post the links here because I'm not sure if that's against the rules or not and I'd rather err on the side of caution.

After you've got the ISO, then you need another Windows computer. Download and install the Microsoft USB/DVD Download Tool
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/windows-usb-dvd-download-tool

Run this program, it will ask you for your Windows ISO, provide it the ISO and it will create a windows bootable USB. Then you simply use that to install Windows on your Acer device.

I think this is the simpler solution for you, YUMI uses GRUB2, we could attempt to troubleshoot what happened with it but it will be painful if you're not already familiar with GRUB to try and figure out why GRUB is loading linux. Starting over with the microsoft utility would be simpler.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted