1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Create your own Questions for Revision

1. Sep 12, 2016 #1
    This is an idea I've been thinking of for a while. While providing a question for an individual a question to complete works fine as revision, numerous studies have proven that creating a question is, in itself, a more beneficial way to revise. Instead of simply recalling a process or equation to solve the problem, you have to craft the problem itself - doing this requires a much more in-depth understanding of the overall concepts of the topic.

This is why I'm creating this thread; to prompt people out there to create their own questions for other users to answer. Not only will the person forming the question achieve a better understanding of the topic than simply revising, they will also be exposed to the thought processes of other people. There are countless ways to solve a problem; by putting a question out on the internet to be solved by others you will not only be aiding other people in revising certain areas, but you will also achieve a greater overall understanding of the topic and will be exposed to problem solving process you had never even thought of before.

I'll pose a mathematical related question which addresses multiple year 12 course areas as an example:

Question

A function, ##f(x)=2ax^3-a^2x## intersects its inverse at the origin, point ##S(-b,f(-b))## and point ##T(b,f(b))##. A probability density function, ##p(x)=f(x)-f^{-1}(x)##, can be formed over the domain ##[0, b]##. Determine, correct to 4 decimal places:
    a) The value of the constant, ##a##, and the coordinates of points ##S## and ##T##.
    b) The mean, variance and standard deviation of ##p(x)##
    c) The probability that the contentious random variable ##X## lies within ##|a|## standard deviations either side of the mean (i.e. ##Pr(μ-|a|σ≤X≤μ+|a|σ)##)

Answers
    a) ##a=-0.2253, S\left(-1.4515,\ 1.4515\right),\ T\left(1.4515,\ -1.4515\right)##
    b) ##μ=0.6692, Var(X)=0.5673,## ##σ=0.7532##
    c) ##Pr(μ-|a|σ≤X≤μ+|a|σ)=0.3147##

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 13, 2016 #2

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

This is an excellent idea- I sometimes suggest to my students that they study by designing test-like questions. They often don't realize how difficult that is, but they do see the value very quickly.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted