1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Creating a non-cubic polynomial

1. Jun 26, 2006 #1
    Would you please give one or two (or more, sorry hehehe) to help me?

How can you make up a polynomial that:
    - crosses the x-axis at -2
    - just touches the x-axis at 1 ("touch" as the graph y=x^2 would only touch, not cross, the x-axis)
    - and is above the x-axis between -2 and 1.

I know there must be equations that are not cubic that satisfy these conditions. Oh and the graph contains no additional contact with the x-axis. How would you create the equation? Please help^^

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 26, 2006 #2

0rthodontist

Science Advisor

If the equation can't be cubic, then make it quintic (highest term x^5) so it will have the same end behavior.

Let's say that you have a polynomial that is cubic with these properties (do you?). Then can you predict what would happen if you multiply it by (for example) (x^2 + 1)?

Last edited: Jun 26, 2006
  4. Jun 26, 2006 #3

J77

So you want a function [tex]f(x)[/tex] such that:

[tex]\frac{df}{dx}=0[/tex] and [tex]\frac{d^2f}{dx^2}<0[/tex] at [tex]x=1[/tex]

and

[tex]f(-2)=0[/tex]...

5. Jun 26, 2006 #4
    well very many thanks I give you. Sorry, im only at precalculus and just at the basic level, so I don't really know what happens when you multiply an equation by (x^2 + 1), but as I tried doing that it worked! The graph of the quintic equation looks very similar to my original cubic equation lol^^

Oh and J77, I'm afraid I do not yet know calculus. Sorry hehehe...

EDIT: Oh I just figured out why. Adding the factor (x^2 + 1) does not add additional x-intercepts!

Last edited: Jun 26, 2006
  6. Jun 26, 2006 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

So one factor is (x-(-2))= (x+2)
    Okay, the parabola is tangent to the x-axis and another factor is
    (x-1)2

(x+2)(x-1)2 itself, at x= 0, is (0+2)(-1)2= 2 which is "above" the x-axis- i.e. positive. Since a polynomial is of one sign between places where it is 0 and (x+2)(x-1)2 is 0 only at -2 and 1, it's positive between -2 and 1: it looks to me like that works.

Yes, there are "equation" (I assume you mean polygons) that are not cubic yet satisfy these equation. For example, multiply (x+2)(x-1)2 by x2+1 which is always positive and, since x2+ 1 is never 0, does not cross or touch the x-axis at any other point. But why? Your original problem did not state that the polynomial must be not be cubic.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?