Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Creating Repulsive and Attractive Gravity

1. Oct 6, 2009 #1
    Some scientists are trying to do what many other scientists consider impossible. That is, to construct a machine that will produce repulsive or attractive gravity.

Here is a link that will provide more information about the research: http://www.scansite.org/scan.php?pid=157"

When an object like an electron or a planet spins and rotates, it produces a secondary gravitational field (gravitomagnetism) which the strength of the field depends on its rotational speed and its mass. To control this force, scientists apply a time-varying magnetic field to a superconductor that contains ions in crystal-lattice form. This magnetic field gives the ions trapped in the superconductor energy and causes it to spin, which consequently produces that gravito-magnetic force. If all the ions are perfectly aligned and spin at the same angle and frequency, a coherent gravitational field will be created around the superconductor.

According to General Relativity, gravitation can be repulsive as well as attractive. If the pressure in the stress-energy-momentum tensor is negative, than repulsive gravitation will result. So I GUESS that in order to create a repulsive gravitational field, the ions inside the superconductor will have to spin in a way that produces negative pressure. Does any of this make any sense?

I guess my question is whether the link I posted or all the science I have described for that matter make any sense. Is it possible one day that people can produce artificial repulsive and attractive gravity?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 6, 2009 #2

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

The research that your link is pointing to has never been replicated. No scientist takes this seriously any more.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook