Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Creating shortcut for a c application

1. Oct 16, 2007 #1
    I was trying to understand how those kind of virus run immediately when you open a folder whcih contains it.
    I wrote a simple c application that writes my name in a certain location on my computer and now i want to know how i can do so that when i open the folder which contains that c application then this one runs immeditely. I am thinkin about creatin an shortcut icon but i don't know how.
    so if any one else got a clue let me know.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 16, 2007 #2

jim mcnamara

Staff: Mentor

I'm not sure folks here want to teach you how to write malicious code.

If you're really into this kinda thing try phrack.com

4. Oct 19, 2007 #3
    No. The executable can only execute if it's ran. Opening a folder will never run an executable. Now, hidden file extensions and deceptive file icons are a different story...

5. Oct 19, 2007 #4

CRGreathouse

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The Windows registry undoubtedly has settings that could be used to do that.

6. Oct 19, 2007 #5

KTC

You can get it to run a particular program on startup, but not automatically run a program on opening a folder.

(Not talking about autorun feature upon disc insertion.)

7. Oct 20, 2007 #6

CRGreathouse

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The registry is queried thousands of times when a folder is opened. There are lots of opportunities there.

At the very least you could tag along when any program is started; there's a setting for that. It's an exploit on some worms I've cleaned.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook