Creating shortcut for a c application

• Thread starter kthouz
  • Start date
I was trying to understand how those kind of virus run immediately when you open a folder whcih contains it.
I wrote a simple c application that writes my name in a certain location on my computer and now i want to know how i can do so that when i open the folder which contains that c application then this one runs immeditely. I am thinkin about creatin an shortcut icon but i don't know how.
so if any one else got a clue let me know.

Answers and Replies

jim mcnamara
Mentor
I'm not sure folks here want to teach you how to write malicious code.

If you're really into this kinda thing try phrack.com

No. The executable can only execute if it's ran. Opening a folder will never run an executable. Now, hidden file extensions and deceptive file icons are a different story...

CRGreathouse
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
The Windows registry undoubtedly has settings that could be used to do that.

KTC
The Windows registry undoubtedly has settings that could be used to do that.
You can get it to run a particular program on startup, but not automatically run a program on opening a folder.

(Not talking about autorun feature upon disc insertion.)

CRGreathouse
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
You can get it to run a particular program on startup, but not automatically run a program on opening a folder.

(Not talking about autorun feature upon disc insertion.)
The registry is queried thousands of times when a folder is opened. There are lots of opportunities there.

At the very least you could tag along when any program is started; there's a setting for that. It's an exploit on some worms I've cleaned.