Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Creating shortcut for a c application

1. Oct 16, 2007 #1
    I was trying to understand how those kind of virus run immediately when you open a folder whcih contains it.
    I wrote a simple c application that writes my name in a certain location on my computer and now i want to know how i can do so that when i open the folder which contains that c application then this one runs immeditely. I am thinkin about creatin an shortcut icon but i don't know how.
    so if any one else got a clue let me know.
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 16, 2007 #2

jim mcnamara

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm not sure folks here want to teach you how to write malicious code.

If you're really into this kinda thing try phrack.com
  4. Oct 19, 2007 #3
    No. The executable can only execute if it's ran. Opening a folder will never run an executable. Now, hidden file extensions and deceptive file icons are a different story...
  5. Oct 19, 2007 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The Windows registry undoubtedly has settings that could be used to do that.
  6. Oct 19, 2007 #5

You can get it to run a particular program on startup, but not automatically run a program on opening a folder.

(Not talking about autorun feature upon disc insertion.)
  7. Oct 20, 2007 #6

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The registry is queried thousands of times when a folder is opened. There are lots of opportunities there.

At the very least you could tag along when any program is started; there's a setting for that. It's an exploit on some worms I've cleaned.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?