Cricket WC 2011: Who's Following?

• Thread starter foxtrot_echo_
  • Start date
  • Tags
    world cup
In summary: I don't know...really good? Boy, are the Dutch giving the Brits a rough time or what?In summary, most PF members are not following the cricket world cup 2011.
foxtrot_echo_
How many of the PF members are following the cricket world cup 2011 ?
Depends a lot on whether you one of the 10 test playing nations, but still just curious.

This is the most open WC in many years with all the top 5 teams having a realistic chance at the title.

Physics news on Phys.org
Given that most people here are American, I doubt many will be following. I've been watching the highlights over the last couple of nights.

Yes. It isn't going so well for my country.

I am an Indian.
Here in India the fever is pretty much high. Comparable to NBA or Baseball.

It must an amazing atmosphere! :smile:
India has played well, too.

Boy, are the Dutch giving the Brits a rough time or what?

Gokul43201 said:

That was way too close for comfort!

Gokul43201 said:

But we won. :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-)

Hey, I am an Indian too. And I am MAD about cricket.
India will win this world cup!

Gokul43201 said:
That was all part of a cunning plan to lure India into false sense of security. And it nearly worked :smile:

I was expecting the host nations to produce wickets that would suit them, but instead they have produced completely flat and lifeless pitches. How boring. The fields are small and the out-fields very fast. Today when we talk of a "good" pitch we invariably mean good for batting.

The game is too much in the batsman's favour. Part of it is due to 20 over cricket, no doubt. Batsmen have learned some skills from it. Surprisingly, it doesn't seem to have affected their technique; 20 over cricket is all about smashing the ball as hard as you can for a short time, and not worrying about your wicket. Bats are much better than they were 10 years ago. Power-plays, ball changes at 34 overs, everything in the batsman's favour. How far will they go? Do they want every game to have 600 runs or more? It's ridiculous.

Enough of that. England look in bad shape, losing to Ireland? What a great day for them, magnificent innings by Kevin O'Brien. England will have to win against SA. Not an easy task. Anyway, KP likes the South African bowling. Fantastic draw England had with India. And they say 50 over cricket is dying.

Fantastic draw England had with India. And they say 50 over cricket is dying.

Would you have called it fantastic if it were a low scoring match with each team not completing their complete quota of overs?I doubt it.You would have sung the old song of Indian pitches being dustbowls.

aim1732 said:
Would you have called it fantastic if it were a low scoring match with each team not completing their complete quota of overs?I doubt it.You would have sung the old song of Indian pitches being dustbowls.

It would call it a fantastic match even if it was a low scoring game if the bowlers did a great work. Who can forget the magical deliveries by Zaheer Khan which brought India back into the game.

This world cup is having a lot of surprise packs. First a thrilling draw then great innings by O'Brien to upset England. Then Canada gave Pakistan a nightmare. Not to forget 2 hat tricks. Malinga was superb. I think we are in for a treat. Looking forward to sri lanka vs australia.

aim1732 said:

You have to accept the fact that limited-overs cricket is a completely different game from limited-time cricket. The reason is that in limited-overs cricket the result can never be a draw. (The India-England result was a tie, not a draw. The two things are completely different).

No draws inevitably means that the only strategy is run-chasing regardless of risk, and too often the result is a foregone conclusion long before the end of the match.

Any Pakistani supporters out there? They've been looking pretty good I would say, of course excluding the horrible batting performance against Canada. Although I haven't been watching a whole lot of actual matches since the timings are so messed up for east coasters (4 am till like 11 on average).

Gokul43201 said:

The Dutch play cricket? I would never have guessed that!

aim1732 said:

It's very rare in 50 over cricket that both teams are bowled out, it would probably mean that the pitch is rubbish.

It's very rare in 50 over cricket that both teams are bowled out, it would probably mean that the pitch is rubbish.

Seems our discussion is being secretly followed...:-p

qspeechc said:

You have got the situation today for ENG vs SA.

Nearly every match England has played has been thrilling. This one was a great bowling show. South Africa which was looking invincible has finally fallen.

ashishsinghal said:
Hey, I am an Indian too. And I am MAD about cricket.
India will win this world cup!

Keep wishing brother PAKISTAN is looking great and Afridi is in great form and i am dying to see Pakistan beat India in this world cup.

Last edited:
The tournament growing quite well so far. Super teams are showing some kind of good cricket and giving hope for the fans. In my prediction, the title may goes to any of the three teams,i.e., Australia, Pakistan and India.

FizixFreak said:
PAKISTAN is looking great and Afridi is in great form

Yeah, 184 vs Canada looks great right?

Australia, Pakistan and India.
I don't buy it. I think no team has yet given us a solid reason to believe that it may win.

Well I am watching the Cricket World Cup 2011 and My most favorite team in it is Australia and I hope they will going to win this World cup as well as they won the previous three ones...And will prove themselves that they are the best...

I hope Ireland make the last 8 as they are playing great stuff considering their lack of cricket history and the fact that they are an associate nation.I read that Bangadesh received $10million in funding last year as opposed to Ireland getting $1Million so if we got our funding up over the next couple of years we could become a full test side that could be competitive.I think we need 2 wins at least from our remaining matches Windes,Netherlands,South Africa.We should beat Netherlands and we'll give the other 2 a run for their money.Although even with 2 wins it may not be enough.But overall its been a pretty successful world cup for Ireland so far.Should have beaten Bagladesh in our first match though.

ashishsinghal said:
Yeah, 184 vs Canada looks great right?

If my memory serves me right i think Pakistan WON that match and they also defeated Sri lanka which is by the way a strong contender and India...,well they went to a draw with England a team that was massacred by Ireland.

FizixFreak said:
If my memory serves me right i think Pakistan WON that match and they also defeated Sri lanka which is by the way a strong contender and India...,well they went to a draw with England a team that was massacred by Ireland.

You seem quite confident. I wonder how can you be so confident over a team whose fate has already been "fixed".
And England has beaten south africa which has the greatest bowling attack and a great batting line up. South Africa is better than Pakistan in every manner.

FizixFreak said:

Are you going to quibble over who is better?:cry: Grow up kid. Keep Cricket Clean. Don't you watch ads.

ashishsinghal said:
Are you going to quibble over who is better?:cry: Grow up kid. Keep Cricket Clean. Don't you watch ads.

I hope you are not taking this seriously i was just trying to have some fun there i personally don't hold grudge against any Indian citizen or the Indian cricket team let's just hope our respective countries do well in this event.

Meri taraf say ap ko bohat "shubh kamnaey":wink:

I think the only reason England managed to beat South Africa is because they batted first. The pitch started out poor for batting and got worse through the day. England don't nearly have as good a bowling team as that pitch made them look.

In my opinion, there are three teams who are favourites to win: Australia, India and South Africa.

Hail the Kiwis!
Did not expect that from them. But I guess Pakistan will be always that inconsistent.

aim1732 said:
Hail the Kiwis!
Did not expect that from them. But I guess Pakistan will be always that inconsistent.

I totally agree. With disappointing losses against India and Bangladesh they have bounced back very well. Tremendous win.
But Pakistan disappointed in the death overs. Bowling full toss to Taylor was a BIG mistake. I can never understand Shoaib Akhtar.

ashishsinghal said:
Bowling full toss to Taylor was a BIG mistake. I can never understand Shoaib Akhtar.
You probably don't remember Chetan Sharma's full toss to Miandad in the last ball of the 1986 Sharjah. By those standards, I don't think Akhtar's full tosses to Taylor in a fairly one-sided match were that big a deal.