Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

News Crimes against humanity possible charge against Breivik

1. Jul 25, 2011 #1

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

"Crimes against humanity" possible charge against Breivik

An obscure paragraph in Norwegian law, originally intended to handle the war crime "crimes against humanity" may possibly be the charge Breivik will face in the ordinary proceedings.
    If found guilty, the maximum penalty is, uniquely, 30 years, rather than the normal 21 years.
    In addition, he may be sentenced to "preventive confinement", if I've understood Norwegian criminal law correctly. Probably not, but I'm sure that our jurists are already working frenetically in formulating a legal justification WITHIN our current framework of law to ensure that Breivik gets what in the US is the established principle "jailed for life, without possibility of release".

It will be a tortuous type of reasoning, I'm sure, so I wish we had the more straightforward American justification schemes present in our law.

But, we don't have that..

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 25, 2011 #2
    Re: "Crimes against humanity" possible charge against Breivik

You are bashing Norwegian law based on a single case.

4. Jul 25, 2011 #3

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

That's true.

I have for quite some time been highly critical of the norwegian justice system, which seems to regard the goal&justification of penalty to be the rehabilitation of the criminal, rather than a retributive model.

5. Jul 25, 2011 #4

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Arildno has mentioned that they have had to do work arounds for other cases where the person is a threat to society. The current case is the most pertinent due to the extremism, and it's happening now, and it is making them rethink their laws.

BTW, did you know that Arildno is Norwegian? He certainly has a right, perhaps even a responsibility to be involved with his own country's laws.

Don't be so quick to impose your personal feelings on others (since you've accused others of doing this). Just saying.

6. Jul 25, 2011 #5

Yes but at present, he seem to be emotionally involved with this case and second he himself admits lack of the "deep understanding" of the Norwegian law.

No you don't change laws on hype and high emotions. It's the worst thing happened in the US after 9/11 IMO.

7. Jul 25, 2011 #6

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

How am I saying I base this NOW, for the first time in my life, on "a single case", rootx???
    I have thought of these issues for years, the war crime paragraph has just recently, without much publicity, been introduced in our legal framework.

But, just because I am not a criminal jurist who has every paragraph present in my head, I certainly DO know of several short-comings of Norwegian law.

And, I have discussed them at various places over the years, but not, I admit, at Physics Forums.

8. Jul 25, 2011 #7

Evo

Point taken.

But in this case, they do need to move quickly, and historically Norway has been afraid to upset anyone. They need to realize that there are bad people that do bad things and the law needs to be provide safety to the public, and worry less if the prisoner might not be happy about being inconvenienced.

9. Jul 25, 2011 #8

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Indeed.

This case will be, I hope, seminal in re-introducing the rational weight of those considerations.

rootx does not know, for example, that you can go about being a high-profiled criminologist in this country advocating that rape cases "ought to" be handled primarily through "reconciliation meetings" between the rapist and the raped.

THAT is how deranged the academic consensus has become on these issues in Norway.

10. Jul 25, 2011 #9

I would very glad if you could link the criminologist work and second have more diverse discussion than just focusing on Breivik when talking about the shortcomings in the law.

11. Jul 25, 2011 #10

Evo

The thread is about the Breivik case. If Arildno wishes to change the topic, that's up to him, but unless he does, please stay on the thread topic.

12. Jul 25, 2011 #11

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Not interested.
    You may start to read the deranged, hand-wringing blather by criminologists like Niels Christie and Thomas Mathiesen who have been in the international forefront to make the focus of punishment "rehabilitative" and that, essentially, prison is "evil" (and hence, for some reason, unjustified to impose).

13. Jul 25, 2011 #12

Astronuc

Any shortcoming or deficiency was not apparent in the body of law until Breivik committed such an extraordinary crime. Not only was it a premedidated act of homicide, but it was on such a large scale (a mass homicide/murder) with the apparent intent to 'eliminate' a certain group of individuals. The OP identifies a law on the books that could conceivably apply to the unique Breivik case, which appears to be unprecedented, at least in modern times. How does one apply the law in an unprecented and seemingly inconceivable crime?

Rehabilitation would only work if there were remorse for one's actions. Breivik not only lacks remorse, but he rationalizes his actions, which would indicate that he is an ongoing threat to society.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2011
  14. Jul 25, 2011 #13

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Okay:
    I forgot to mention that I here was referring to a Norwegian Newspaper, Today's Business Life, who had made an interview with a legal expert who speculated that this paragraph might be applied here.

Sorry for the confusion here.

15. Jul 25, 2011 #14

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Here's the article.
    http://www.dn.no/forsiden/politikkSamfunn/article2189237.ece

"Politiadvokat" (i.e, the one formulating the actual charge against a suspect in a juridically correct way, among other functions), Christian Hatlo, says that this charge is "definitely an option", and that the current basis for charge is something that may change, in course of the investigations.

"Politiadvokat" is I guess, somewhat similar to "public prosecutor"

16. Jul 25, 2011 #15

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

This article, by The Daily Caller, is an interview with precisely Niels Christie and Thomas Mathiesen where they are "proud" of our lenient judiciary systems.
    These two guys are, in MY view, the chief perverters of judicial thinking of Norway for the last 50 years (they are, obviously, not criminals, but kooks who have been given, through legitimate processes way too much power to spread their ideas).
    Their views have been dogmatically indoctrinated into the population, where any dissent is demonized as "cruel and inhumane":
    http://dailycaller.com/2011/07/25/n...-lenient-judicial-system-in-wake-of-massacre/

17. Jul 25, 2011 #16

So what would happen if an Norwegian cop just walked up and put a bullet through this guys head? Other than losing his job I doubt he would do much jail time the way things seem to work over there.

18. Jul 25, 2011 #17

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

drankin:
    If anything "good" can come out of these horrible events, it would be that the romanticizing, hand-wringing and illogical sentimentalism now prevailing at the highest levels of our judiciary system will be utterly discredited.

If you read the Daily Caller, there is a third Professor of Law who says our prevailing notions of Evil and cruelty have been "deeply challenged".

And that, in my view, is a good sign in the midst of our tragedy.

19. Jul 25, 2011 #18

Evo

Sad that it often takes something like this to take the blinders off of people's eyes and force change.

20. Jul 25, 2011 #19

I really hope you are right. This guy has no concept of the value of human life. Having the depravity of mind to shoot at children for more than an hour. Why would we as a society tolerate letting a person like this breath among us? It makes no sense to me at all.

21. Jul 25, 2011 #20

Yes, and the problem for any legal system is that there's no way to ascertain if an offender is genuinely remorseful. There's also no way to ascertain if an offender has been 'rehabilitated'.

In the Breivik case it's clear that the offender can't reasonably be allowed back into the general society.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook