Critical Point when f is undefined

In summary: I get a derivative in a form such that, say, x is in the denominator, making the derivative undefined when x=0. OR, should I always make it a point to multiply both sides by the denominator in order to only have a numerater = 0.You should always multiply by the denominator.
Cosmophile

Homework Statement

I am being asked to find the absolute extrema of the function

[tex] f(x) = 3x^{2/3}- 2x, [-1,1] [/tex]

2. The attempt at a solution
I have taken the derivative and simplified it to:

[tex] \frac {1- \sqrt [3] x}{\sqrt [3]x} = 0 [/tex]

Here is my dilemma: 0 lies in the interval, and I know that f'(x) is undefined at x=0. Does this make x=0 a critical point? Is it wrong to multiply both sides by the denominator and simply be left with [tex] 1- \sqrt [3]x = 0 [/tex] leaving x = 1 as my only CP? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
What branch of ##x^{2/3}## are you using for negative x? Regardless, if f' is not defined you will simply have to check those points explicitly.

Answers: 1. Ask: what is the definition of a critical point? Then check whether "undefined" is classified as a "critical point".
2. No, it is not wrong. And 1 is a critical point.

Orodruin said:
What branch of ##x^{2/3}## are you using for negative x? Regardless, if f' is not defined you will simply have to check those points explicitly.

What do you mean what branch of ##x^{2/3}## am I using for negative x? Sorry to ask what is most likely a silly question.

Your quoted interval is [-1,1]. What is ##f(-1)##?

Orodruin said:
Your quoted interval is [-1,1]. What is ##f(-1)##?

5, unless I'm horribly mistaken somewhere.

Is ##(-1)^{2/3} = 1##?

Rational powers can be well defined on negative Real numbers as long as the denominator is odd.

##(-1)^{3/2}## would be problematic.

Orodruin said:
Is ##(-1)^{2/3} = 1##?

Yes.

PeroK said:
Rational powers can be well defined on negative Real numbers as long as the denominator is odd.

##(-1)^{3/2}## would be problematic.

I'm pretty sure I understand what you're saying. My question here was whether or not I should keep the denominator when I get a derivative in a form such that, say, x is in the denominator, making the derivative undefined when x=0. OR, should I always make it a point to multiply both sides by the denominator in order to only have a numerater = 0.

Cosmophile said:
Yes.

This is true only for a very particular interpretation, which also breaks the relation ##a = b^c \ \Rightarrow \ b = a^{1/c}##. Generally, the solution to an equation involving ##x## must be taken with that in mind. How do you interpret ##x^{1/3}## in your derivative? It must be taken with the same interpretation as you use for the function!

Y
Cosmophile said:
Yes.
I'm pretty sure I understand what you're saying. My question here was whether or not I should keep the denominator when I get a derivative in a form such that, say, x is in the denominator, making the derivative undefined when x=0. OR, should I always make it a point to multiply both sides by the denominator in order to only have a numerater = 0.

Drawing a graph of f(x) will answer your question about whether 0 is a critical point.

I can't see that it matters about having a denominator.

a/b = 0 iff a = 0, where b not = 0

Orodruin said:
This is true only for a very particular interpretation, which also breaks the relation ##a = b^c \ \Rightarrow \ b = a^{1/c}##. Generally, the solution to an equation involving ##x## must be taken with that in mind. How do you interpret ##x^{1/3}## in your derivative? It must be taken with the same interpretation as you use for the function!

##x^{1/3}## and ##x^{2/3}## look like well defined real functions to me. Differentiable everywhere except 0. There's no ambiguity in the function values or derivatives that I can see.

##x^{2/3}## is not invertible unless you restrict it to non-negative x, but that's not relevant here.

@Cosmophile, your thread title ('Critical Point when f is undefined') might be an indication of your misunderstanding. Per wikipedia, a critical point is a point in the domain of f at which f' = 0 or is undefined. For the function in this problem, f(x) is defined for all real numbers. It is true that f' is not defined at x = 0, but the function itself is defined at x = 0.

Mark44 said:
@Cosmophile, your thread title ('Critical Point when f is undefined') might be an indication of your misunderstanding. Per wikipedia, a critical point is a point in the domain of f at which f' = 0 or is undefined. For the function in this problem, f(x) is defined for all real numbers. It is true that f' is not defined at x = 0, but the function itself is defined at x = 0.

Nope, that's just a silly typo on my end that I didn't catch. Thanks! Haha

PeroK said:
##x^{1/3}## and ##x^{2/3}## look like well defined real functions to me. Differentiable everywhere except 0. There's no ambiguity in the function values or derivatives that I can see.

##x^{2/3}## is not invertible unless you restrict it to non-negative x, but that's not relevant here.

I thought they were well-defined, too.

So, I do need to include 0 as one of my critical numbers because f'(x) is undefined at x = 0. That makes sense to me. I just hadn't remembered the entire definition of a critical point, so I thought to just multiply both sides by the denominator.

Thank you, everyone!

PeroK said:

Did you ever try feeding it into Mathematica or Wolfram alpha? The analytic continuation from the real axis certainly is not a real function on the same branch as it is real on the positive axis. In order to make it real on the negative axis you need to pick a different branch.

Orodruin said:
Did you ever try feeding it into Mathematica or Wolfram alpha? The analytic continuation from the real axis certainly is not a real function on the same branch as it is real on the positive axis. In order to make it real on the negative axis you need to pick a different branch.
In the problem at hand, and at the level it's presented It's a real function over a real domain.

I believe all this discussion about branches, etc. has just confused OP.

SammyS said:
I believe all this discussion about branches, etc. has just confused OP.
You are probably correct. Let us drop that part of the discussion.

Cosmophile said:
I thought they were well-defined, too.

So, I do need to include 0 as one of my critical numbers because f'(x) is undefined at x = 0. That makes sense to me. I just hadn't remembered the entire definition of a critical point, so I thought to just multiply both sides by the denominator.

Thank you, everyone!

Yes, you need to include it. The function can have an extremum where the derivative is not defined.

Yep yep, solved! And the discussion of the branches didn't necessarily confuse me; in fact, it all sounds extremely interesting, and I'd love to know more about it. I'm going through Serge Lang's text and am using a different textbook's practice problems so that I can check answers (my copy of Lang's text is a PDF, and skipping to answers is tedious), and I was just eager to figure this out so I can move on. I appreciate the insight - even the insights that weren't necessarily tuned for my question.

In real analysis (the basis of calculus) a function is usually defined to have only one value at each point. If you take something like ##y = \pm \sqrt{x}## then that is not a function, as there are two values for y for each non-zero x.

There are two functions there:

##y = \sqrt{x}## and ##y= - \sqrt{x}##

You could alternatively describe y as a " multi-valued function" with two branches.

Note that in real analysis the square root function is not defined for negative x.

If you move on to complex analysis then multi- valued functions become more common. In particular, every real number has 2 square roots and 3 cube roots. And, in fact, every real number has one real cube root and two complex cube roots.

In the same way that you can have ##\pm \sqrt{x}## the complex cube root has three branches.

The debate above is whether defining

##y = x^{1/3}##

Where y is taken to be the real cube root of x gives a well-defined function for any real x, positive or negative.

PeroK said:
In real analysis (the basis of calculus) a function is usually defined to have only one value at each point. If you take something like ##y = \pm \sqrt{x}## then that is not a function, as there are two values for y for each non-zero x.

There are two functions there:

##y = \sqrt{x}## and ##y= - \sqrt{x}##

You could alternatively describe y as a " multi-valued function" with two branches.

Note that in real analysis the square root function is not defined for negative x.

If you move on to complex analysis then multi- valued functions become more common. In particular, every real number has 2 square roots and 3 cube roots. And, in fact, every real number has one real cube root and two complex cube roots.

In the same way that you can have ##\pm \sqrt{x}## the complex cube root has three branches.

The debate above is whether defining

##y = x^{1/3}##

Where y is taken to be the real cube root of x gives a well-defined function for any real x, positive or negative.

To clarify still more, we can write ##x^{1/3} = \text{sign}(x) \, |x|^{1/3}## in this case. Of course, that makes ##x^{2/3} = |x|^{2/3}## in this problem.

1. What is a critical point when f is undefined?

A critical point is a point on a function where the derivative is equal to zero or undefined. When f is undefined, it means that the function does not have a well-defined value at that particular point.

2. Why is a critical point important?

Critical points are important because they can help us identify maximum and minimum values of a function. They also give us information about the behavior and shape of a function.

3. How do you find the critical points when f is undefined?

To find the critical points when f is undefined, we need to take the derivative of the function and then set it equal to zero. This will give us the x-values of the critical points. However, if the derivative is undefined at a certain point, we need to further investigate to determine if it is a critical point or not.

4. Can a function have more than one critical point when f is undefined?

Yes, a function can have multiple critical points when f is undefined. This can happen when the derivative of the function is undefined at more than one point.

5. How do critical points when f is undefined differ from regular critical points?

Critical points when f is undefined differ from regular critical points because they do not have a well-defined value. This means that they may not necessarily be maximum or minimum points on the function, and further investigation is needed to determine their nature.