1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Critical Point when f is undefined

1. Apr 21, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I am being asked to find the absolute extrema of the function

[tex] f(x) = 3x^{2/3}- 2x, [-1,1] [/tex]

2. The attempt at a solution
    I have taken the derivative and simplified it to:

[tex] \frac {1- \sqrt [3] x}{\sqrt [3]x} = 0 [/tex]

Here is my dilemma: 0 lies in the interval, and I know that f'(x) is undefined at x=0. Does this make x=0 a critical point? Is it wrong to multiply both sides by the denominator and simply be left with [tex] 1- \sqrt [3]x = 0 [/tex] leaving x = 1 as my only CP? Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 21, 2015 #2

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What branch of ##x^{2/3}## are you using for negative x? Regardless, if f' is not defined you will simply have to check those points explicitly.

4. Apr 21, 2015 #3

MarcusAgrippa

Gold Member

Answers: 1. Ask: what is the definition of a critical point? Then check whether "undefined" is classified as a "critical point".
    2. No, it is not wrong. And 1 is a critical point.

5. Apr 21, 2015 #4
    What do you mean what branch of ##x^{2/3}## am I using for negative x? Sorry to ask what is most likely a silly question.

6. Apr 21, 2015 #5

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Your quoted interval is [-1,1]. What is ##f(-1)##?

7. Apr 21, 2015 #6
    5, unless I'm horribly mistaken somewhere.

8. Apr 21, 2015 #7

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Is ##(-1)^{2/3} = 1##?

9. Apr 21, 2015 #8

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Rational powers can be well defined on negative Real numbers as long as the denominator is odd.

##(-1)^{3/2}## would be problematic.

10. Apr 21, 2015 #9
    Yes.

I'm pretty sure I understand what you're saying. My question here was whether or not I should keep the denominator when I get a derivative in a form such that, say, x is in the denominator, making the derivative undefined when x=0. OR, should I always make it a point to multiply both sides by the denominator in order to only have a numerater = 0.

11. Apr 21, 2015 #10

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

This is true only for a very particular interpretation, which also breaks the relation ##a = b^c \ \Rightarrow \ b = a^{1/c}##. Generally, the solution to an equation involving ##x## must be taken with that in mind. How do you interpret ##x^{1/3}## in your derivative? It must be taken with the same interpretation as you use for the function!

12. Apr 21, 2015 #11

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Y
    Drawing a graph of f(x) will answer your question about whether 0 is a critical point.

I can't see that it matters about having a denominator.

a/b = 0 iff a = 0, where b not = 0

13. Apr 21, 2015 #12

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

##x^{1/3}## and ##x^{2/3}## look like well defined real functions to me. Differentiable everywhere except 0. There's no ambiguity in the function values or derivatives that I can see.

##x^{2/3}## is not invertible unless you restrict it to non-negative x, but that's not relevant here.

14. Apr 21, 2015 #13

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

@Cosmophile, your thread title ('Critical Point when f is undefined') might be an indication of your misunderstanding. Per wikipedia, a critical point is a point in the domain of f at which f' = 0 or is undefined. For the function in this problem, f(x) is defined for all real numbers. It is true that f' is not defined at x = 0, but the function itself is defined at x = 0.

15. Apr 21, 2015 #14
    Nope, that's just a silly typo on my end that I didn't catch. Thanks! Haha

16. Apr 21, 2015 #15
    I thought they were well-defined, too.

So, I do need to include 0 as one of my critical numbers because f'(x) is undefined at x = 0. That makes sense to me. I just hadn't remembered the entire definition of a critical point, so I thought to just multiply both sides by the denominator.

Thank you, everyone!

17. Apr 21, 2015 #16

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Did you ever try feeding it into Mathematica or Wolfram alpha? The analytic continuation from the real axis certainly is not a real function on the same branch as it is real on the positive axis. In order to make it real on the negative axis you need to pick a different branch.

18. Apr 22, 2015 #17

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

In the problem at hand, and at the level it's presented It's a real function over a real domain.

I believe all this discussion about branches, etc. has just confused OP.

19. Apr 22, 2015 #18

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You are probably correct. Let us drop that part of the discussion.

20. Apr 22, 2015 #19

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, you need to include it. The function can have an extremum where the derivative is not defined.

21. Apr 22, 2015 #20
    Yep yep, solved! And the discussion of the branches didn't necessarily confuse me; in fact, it all sounds extremely interesting, and I'd love to know more about it. I'm going through Serge Lang's text and am using a different textbook's practice problems so that I can check answers (my copy of Lang's text is a PDF, and skipping to answers is tedious), and I was just eager to figure this out so I can move on. I appreciate the insight - even the insights that weren't necessarily tuned for my question.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted