1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Critical points of system of DE

1. Dec 18, 2011 #1

fluidistic

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find all the critical points of the system of DE:
    [itex]x'=x-x^2-2xy[/itex] and [itex]y'=2y-2y^2-3xy[/itex].

2. Relevant equations
    [itex]y'=f(x, \vec y)[/itex] has critical point if [itex]f(\vec x )=0[/itex].

3. The attempt at a solution
    I'm self studying DE's and I'm not understanding well what critical points are.
    It looks like I must equate x' to 0 and isolate x (which I've done and it gave me [itex]x=0[/itex] or [itex]x=1-2y[/itex]) and equal y' to 0 and isolate y, which I've done and got [itex]y=0[/itex] or [itex]y=1-\frac{3x}{2}[/itex].
    Now I don't know what to do.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 18, 2011 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I think you've got a fine start. The critical points are just where (x',y')=(0,0). (x,y)=(0,0) is certainly one. Combine your two conditions for x and y in pairs and solve each pair. You'll get four critical points. The one I gave you combines x=0 and y=0. Now combine x=0 and y=1-3x/2. There are two more combinations to try.

4. Dec 19, 2011 #3

fluidistic

Gold Member

Ah ok thank you.
    So for example for [itex](x,y)=(0,1-\frac{3x}{2})[/itex].
    Gives [itex]y'=3x-\frac{9x^2}{2}[/itex] evaluated in x=0 gives 0. But on the other hand since [itex]y=1-\frac{3x}{2}[/itex], [itex]y'=3/2[/itex] which differ from the previous answer, 0. So that this isn't a critical point? Is the reasoning good? Or it's because 3/2 isn't equal to [itex]3x-\frac{-9x^2}{2}[/itex] that it isn't a critical point?

Edit: I'm confused about the notation. Is x'=dx/dy and y'=dy/dx?

Edit2: I tried the other combinations and none gave me critical points. Only the (0,0) is critical point.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2011
  5. Dec 19, 2011 #4

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Both x and y are functions of a parameter, t, and the derivative is with respect to this parameter. The differential equations mean
    \begin{align*}
    \frac{dx}{dt} &= x-x^2-2xy \\
    \frac{dy}{dt} &= 2y-2y^2-3xy
    \end{align*}
    For the case x=0 and y=1-(3/2)x, you have y = 1-(3/2)(0) = 1. If you plug (x,y)=(0,1) back into the original differential equations, you will indeed find that dx/dt=0 and dy/dt=0.

6. Dec 20, 2011 #5

fluidistic

Gold Member

Ah I see vela, thank you. In this case I obtain that these 4 points are indeed critical.
    Would it have been possible to obtain a point that wasn't critical?
    Edit: nevermind the answer is yes, in another problem I get that not all of the points are critical.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2011
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook